PDA

View Full Version : Data acquisition system

Gupta
04-16-2008, 09:03 AM
we are taking part in fsae for the first time. i wanted to make a data acquisition system for the car. at an undergraduate level we donot have enough experience required to build it so can you plz suggest what all things we should keep in mind to make a DAS and what technical capabilities are required.

exFSAE
04-16-2008, 09:54 AM
If you're doing FSAE for the first time, I wouldn't bother with data acquisition. It will by far the be the least of your worries trying to get a working car together.

screwdriver
04-16-2008, 02:49 PM
Data-logging and analyzing can be quite a minefield.
Looking at the time of the year, I'd say you're past the time where you could have successfully built a data-logger from scratch. Unless that you are planning to run in the Australian event. But even that would be quite a challenge.
So try to obtain (buy or have it sponsored) a data-logging system from somewhere.

But back to your original question.

The first thing you need to know is how can you obtain the data you want. Which sensors are present, are they connected to the engine-ecu and does it allow access to the sensor data (I.e. does it have a CAN-interface or something the likes AND more important, do you have access to it's documentation). If the engine-ecu doesn't offer an interface for loggers, you'll have to think about alternative ways. Surely the easiest would be to connect all the additional sensors directly to the logger.

Then you need something to record the data on. I suggest using a SD-Card.

You'll also need something that can read the data from the SD-Card on a computer and prepare it for analysis. There are tons of ways to do that. The most primitive, I can think of, would be to try and put it into an Excel sheet and write some macros which can produce graphs automatically.

Kai69i
04-16-2008, 04:50 PM
Hi Gupta,
I tend to agree with exFSAE; solely achieving an operational vehicle in the first year of an FSAE programme will consume all the resources you have. There is also the capital to think about when taking the data acquisition (DAQ) path- nothing good comes cheap!

If you have the capital and personnel, and want to try something as a lead in, get a MoTeC ECU, such as an M400 which will run up to 4 cylinders. Through the ECU, you can log all of your basic engine parameters (rpm, throttle pos, temps, pressures, status etc). You could also log a wheel speed channel, and perhaps get a dual axis accelerometer which would enable you to track map (using manual beacons). Anyway, be conservative in your approach, as with the limited testing and development time in FSAE, it is difficult to use such systems for vehicle setup purposes. The data tends to be more useful for the Design Event, and verification of theoretical parameters assumed during the design of the vehicle.

On the personal front, the RMIT Racing team is having its first full assault with a fully integrated data acquisition system this year. It has taken us eight years to get to this stage, even with some of the intelligent guys who have passed through our team over the years. I personally wouldn't rush into a DAQ system for your car; just focus on learning the ropes of FSAE vehicle design and construction in the early years.

Good luck!
Kai

Vishwas Shelar
02-28-2012, 09:52 PM
hi,me also designing DAS for fsae car for first time i need some extension.. I am having Stock sensors which already mounted on the engine.The sensors data is directly going to the engine ecu & my ecu is not having data logging interface.So suggest me how can i take the sensors data for my standalone das without producing disturbance to sensors data to the ecu..i was thinking about the buffer...
Originally posted by screwdriver:
Data-logging and analyzing can be quite a minefield.
Looking at the time of the year, I'd say you're past the time where you could have successfully built a data-logger from scratch. Unless that you are planning to run in the Australian event. But even that would be quite a challenge.
So try to obtain (buy or have it sponsored) a data-logging system from somewhere.

But back to your original question.

The first thing you need to know is how can you obtain the data you want. Which sensors are present, are they connected to the engine-ecu and does it allow access to the sensor data (I.e. does it have a CAN-interface or something the likes AND more important, do you have access to it's documentation). If the engine-ecu doesn't offer an interface for loggers, you'll have to think about alternative ways. Surely the easiest would be to connect all the additional sensors directly to the logger.

Then you need something to record the data on. I suggest using a SD-Card.

You'll also need something that can read the data from the SD-Card on a computer and prepare it for analysis. There are tons of ways to do that. The most primitive, I can think of, would be to try and put it into an Excel sheet and write some macros which can produce graphs automatically.