PDA

View Full Version : differential

ek2005
12-16-2004, 12:11 PM
Hello,

I`m from a class 3 fs team and we`re in the process of choosing a diff. But I have some serious questions about the limited slip. Which parameters are crucial in deciding which limited slip fits in our car?(torque,power, gear ratio`s?) And how can you determine them?(formula`s?).It would help me a lot if someone could answer these questions.

Thanks,

Evgeni

ek2005
12-16-2004, 12:11 PM
Hello,

I`m from a class 3 fs team and we`re in the process of choosing a diff. But I have some serious questions about the limited slip. Which parameters are crucial in deciding which limited slip fits in our car?(torque,power, gear ratio`s?) And how can you determine them?(formula`s?).It would help me a lot if someone could answer these questions.

Thanks,

Evgeni

Broderick
12-16-2004, 05:22 PM
Any limited slip will fit in your car unless you have an extremely narrow rear subframe. IF you have the money(big $$) the unit from taylor racing is really nice and it is complete. We've used a torsen unit with custom made endcaps thats worked really well for us. The torsen is cheap $375 and pretty straight foward.
Gear ratios (final drive) are totally up to you and which diff you choose doesnt really affect what final drive you can have since you have to engineer a way to mount the sprocket to the unit anyway. We've made an excel sheet that does the math for you if you plug in what ratio you want and what sprockets you have. I'll send it if you'd like to take a look.
Unless your trying to use a lsd out of a quad I wouldn't worry about it not being able to take the power. We're making 70hp at the wheels(NA) and never come close to hurting it in any way.

Ryan B.
Rutgers Formula Raing
Diff guy

ek2005
12-18-2004, 04:51 AM
Hi Broderick,

Thanks fot your advice. About that excell sheet, could you please send it to me? That would be great!
e_katsnelson@hotmail.com

Evgeni
Delft University of Technology
www.dutracing.nl (http://www.dutracing.nl)