PDA

View Full Version : engine testing , speedometer , ECU

Aly
01-25-2012, 12:26 PM
Reaching the stage where we need to do allot of testing
runs on our engine , we are facing a big problem that we don't have a dyno and resources are extra limited.
We took a decision to conduct our testing phase using the sensors already present in the car (after making sure they work perfectly).
Another new problem is that we don't have the original speedometer (with it's lcd display) of our ECU of the GSX-R600 suzuki engine .

Having sensors and ECU , how can I take the signal coming out of the pins that were supposed to give output to the lcd and display their output on the computer ?
taking in consideration that we can't buy the power commander V due to our country circumstances these days.
please help

Aly
01-25-2012, 12:26 PM
Reaching the stage where we need to do allot of testing
runs on our engine , we are facing a big problem that we don't have a dyno and resources are extra limited.
We took a decision to conduct our testing phase using the sensors already present in the car (after making sure they work perfectly).
Another new problem is that we don't have the original speedometer (with it's lcd display) of our ECU of the GSX-R600 suzuki engine .

Having sensors and ECU , how can I take the signal coming out of the pins that were supposed to give output to the lcd and display their output on the computer ?
taking in consideration that we can't buy the power commander V due to our country circumstances these days.
please help

Menisk
01-25-2012, 01:02 PM
Which ECU do you have? Is it just the stock ECU or do you have an aftermarket one. The more information you can provide the more help people can provide you with. I don't know much about DAQ on anything other than a MoTeC, but on a MoTeC you could use the RS232 output of the ECU and just knock up a programable board with an LCD or even something as simple as a very bright sevenseg.

If you have something else aftermarket there'll be other people around this forum with experience that can hopefully point you in the right direction.

Aly
01-25-2012, 01:08 PM
We have the original ECU of the suzuki GSXR-600 motorcycle engine

Menisk
01-25-2012, 01:26 PM
Well I can't help you in terms of getting anything out of that ECU, but I'm pretty sure the speed it would be reporting is going to be wrong anyway, because the size of your wheels aren't going to be the same as the wheel of the original bike.

You say you want to display the output on a computer as well, do you mean that you'd like to log the data so you can review it later? If so, you haven't got much choice but to invest in some kind of data logger. If you've got someone on your team that's tech savvy you could knock up your own with an arduino, CAN shield and SD card. I think there's a CAN/datalogging shield all in one as well. Then you could stick the output into MATLAB or something. (This is assuming the GSXR600 has a CAN Bus, I'm not sure if it does.)