PDA

View Full Version : gear position sensor

Federico
09-19-2005, 03:57 PM
I have read the discussion about the gear position sensor and display.

I was wondering if anyone knows how does exactly the neutral switch works since I am trying to recreate a gear position sensor.

Is it simply a potentiometer or is it a digial microswitch?

Thanks a lot,

Federico
WSU FSAE Team

Federico
09-19-2005, 03:57 PM
I have read the discussion about the gear position sensor and display.

I was wondering if anyone knows how does exactly the neutral switch works since I am trying to recreate a gear position sensor.

Is it simply a potentiometer or is it a digial microswitch?

Thanks a lot,

Federico
WSU FSAE Team

Kirk Feldkamp
09-19-2005, 06:45 PM
On the GSXRs the gear position switch is a multi contact 'potentiometer' of sorts. There is a 12V input and 'a less than 12V' output. The circuit passes through a different resistor inside the sensor for each gear position. There is a spring loaded contact that moves on the face of the sensor that resides in the end of the shifter drum. If I recall correctly, nuetral is simply a short to ground. Check it out on ronayers.com or partsfish.com.

-Kirk

Colin
09-19-2005, 06:54 PM
the CBR is just a contact switch, very basic, and as previously discussed there's a fair bit of work to convert it to a gear pot, but it can be done, good luck.

Federico
09-21-2005, 02:02 PM
What kind of potentiometer or digital switch did you guys used on the CBR?

I looked at many potentiometer and microswitches but I am not sure what kind would be best.

By the way, thanks for your help.

Colin
09-21-2005, 02:48 PM
some photos's of our install
http://fsae.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8356059423/m/91010273121

info on the pot (search for CAT. NO. RP8504)
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productResults.asp?FORM=CAT

Federico
09-21-2005, 03:56 PM
guys you are very helpful.

Thanks again for the help.

I have a question about the second pic: the "thing" in front of the potentiometer is that the original neutral switch?

Thanks colin

raska
09-22-2005, 01:32 AM
That appears to be their custom rotating asssembly that threads in to the original neutral contact hole, and the inner part where the spring loaded contact would be on the stock switch extends the gear out to the pot. You can see that piece in the third picture.

Clean setup, but on some other engines shift drums are constrained differently, the gear method like that doesn't work so well. Out of curiosity since I've never been inside a CBR engine, do you have any pictures of the stock shift drum/neutral light setup? Or how is the contact switch set up? Is it on a little hub on the end of the shift drum there? Was it just a press fit on?

Erich Ohlde
09-22-2005, 05:42 PM
I'll take some pictures of the stock F4i setup and post them.

Federico
09-23-2005, 01:05 PM
Guys, the more that I look at the picture and the more I wonder how does the potentiometer turn accrdingly to the shaft.

Thanks again

raska
09-23-2005, 03:41 PM
The pot is connected directly to the shaft, that slides inside the custom housing that screws in to the stock sensor mount. Then you can see what goes on on the inside with the gearing. That's what I get from it anyways.

Colin
09-25-2005, 03:34 PM
The body of the pot (the green thing) bolts to the 90 deg flat to stop the entire pot from rotating, the shaft of the pot is then locked in by a grub screw to the rotating shaft in the centre of the body, then the whole assembly is installed in the neutral hole (you can see the two flats on the body of the fitting for a spanner) .Inside the body there are 2 O'rings to seal the rotating shaft against oil. Once the fitting is installed in the engine a small gear is attached to the small stub you can see at the end of the threaded section which is the end of the rotating shaft, this gear meshes with an identical one already installed on the end of the shifter drum (pic 1), we already run a microcontroller for a pneumatic shifting system so we just input the signal to an A/D pin on the chip and drove a seven segment display with it.

Diablo_niterider
03-26-2008, 04:04 AM
hey
we are planning to put a similar setup on the engine , will be opening the engine up in a few days

is it possible for u guys to give me centre to centre distance of the two mating gears and if possible the gear specifications too

it will help me get a headstart. please reply asap

Hiren Patel
Technical Head - Powertrain 2007-09
Orion Racing INDIA
www.orion-racing.com (http://www.orion-racing.com)