PDA

View Full Version : GSXR600 Slim or Low Profile Oil Pan

Conor
09-13-2007, 11:22 AM
Does anybody know if there's an aftermarket company that makes a slim or low profile oil pan for an 02 gsxr600? We'd like to lower the engine, but a dry sump is out of the question (atleast I think that's what most teams do to get their engine closer to the ground). Any info would be awesome. Thanks in advance.

Pete M
09-13-2007, 11:47 AM
Just make one, it's really not that hard.

2BWise
09-13-2007, 12:13 PM
+1

The hardest part is getting the exact pan bolt locations, but I bet there's a model of that engine somewhere, or you could have it CMM'd

Marshall Grice
09-13-2007, 12:32 PM
+1

The hardest part is getting the exact pan bolt locations, but I bet there's a model of that engine somewhere, or you could have it CMM'd

Enging model, CMM??? -1

transfer the hole pattern from a stock oil pan. It's not that hard.

Conor
09-13-2007, 12:44 PM
We're already a little strapped for time so a bolt-on option is the best if it exists. However, you have me very intruiged about making our own. Can somebody elaborate a little more for me?

Pete M
09-13-2007, 12:48 PM
Yeah, there's nothing wrong with tracing. No need to resort to high tech stuff.

And if you do it the high tech way, be smart and print it out on an overhead transparency and hold it up to the engine to make sure it's right. High tech is a good way of fooling yourself into thinking that precision equals accuracy.

Pete M
09-13-2007, 12:51 PM
Well... the last few years we've just folded one out of sheet ally and welded that to a flange cut out of plate.

Conor
09-13-2007, 01:02 PM
That's all there is to it? Take the old off, make new flange with correct bolt pattern, weld to new fabricated tank, and bolt in place?

Pete M
09-13-2007, 01:10 PM
Well, no. You've gotta figure out what you're going to do to make the oil strainer and pressure relief fit. You also need to think about whether decreasing the sump volume is going to do anything bad. Finally, you need to think about oil surge and design your sump to handle lateral Gs.

Conor
09-13-2007, 01:29 PM
I'm not trying to sound lazy or anything, but the time and effort for that really scares me. We've never touched it and I fear we'd sink too many resources into getting that done. I was really just hoping to find a bolt on version much like they make for the Hyabusa.

blister
09-13-2007, 02:22 PM
hi,

There is a company in the UK who sells DrySumps for the GSXR1000 K4/K5. We used one of that for our GSXR600 K4/K5. It works perfectly and comes with an oil pump. Cost is 500 pounds :-/

Conor
09-13-2007, 10:02 PM
blister,

that is exactly what i was looking to confirm. i was hoping that the bolt pattern on the gsxr1000 and gsxr600 would be the same. thanks!

i hope i spelled everything ok because i just got back from the bar

cheers!

Ehsan
09-13-2007, 11:19 PM
No one puts dry sumps/low profile pans on motorcycles. The leaning counteracts the oil sloshing and the chassis is too intertwined to the motor to be able to just drop it 2-3 inches.

The Hayabusa has short pans built for it cause that motor is often put in cars. The 600 motors are only really put in FSAE cars so you'll have very little luck finding one for sale.

I would hope the GSXR 1000 and 600 wouldn't have the same size oil pan. Suzuki isn't that lazy in building their bikes.

Conor
09-14-2007, 06:47 AM
Originally posted by Ehsan:
No one puts dry sumps/low profile pans on motorcycles. The leaning counteracts the oil sloshing and the chassis is too intertwined to the motor to be able to just drop it 2-3 inches.

The Hayabusa has short pans built for it cause that motor is often put in cars. The 600 motors are only really put in FSAE cars so you'll have very little luck finding one for sale.

I would hope the GSXR 1000 and 600 wouldn't have the same size oil pan. Suzuki isn't that lazy in building their bikes.

Actually, they make low profile oil pans for the GSXR1000 for two reasons. The first being that a lot of people drag race them and thus want the bike to be lighter and closer to the ground. The second being a lot of people customize the bike and drop the frame close to the ground to "pimp it out" - which is pretty lame in my opinion. Either way, both oil pans for the gsxr1000 that I found include swing arms for the pump(I think), that prevent oil starvation during accel/braking. I would mostly be concerned about how these pans would perform during lateral G's and cornering. And, I wouldn't necessarilly say Suzuki is being lazy if the pan is the same. Why build 5 different oil pans for each bike when you can build 1 oil pan for every bike?

Ben Beacock
09-14-2007, 07:37 AM

Actually, the GSXR600/750/1000 (same pan) is also used in sidecar racing with the engine practically scraping the ground. I've seen one or two setups that would be perfect for a FSAE car. It wouldn't work for ours though because of our longitudinal mounting.

Conor
09-14-2007, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by Ben Beacock:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ehsan:

Actually, the GSXR600/750/1000 (same pan) is also used in sidecar racing with the engine practically scraping the ground. I've seen one or two setups that would be perfect for a FSAE car. It wouldn't work for ours though because of our longitudinal mounting. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ben,

Please be a saint and indulge a little more if you can. I'm very interested.

blister
09-14-2007, 02:33 PM
http://www.novaracing.co.uk/suzuki-gsxr1000-dry-sump.htm

this worked very well on the GSX600 K5

Ehsan
09-17-2007, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by Conor:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ehsan:

Actually, they make low profile oil pans for the GSXR1000 for two reasons. The first being that a lot of people drag race them and thus want the bike to be lighter and closer to the ground. The second being a lot of people customize the bike and drop the frame close to the ground to "pimp it out" - which is pretty lame in my opinion. Either way, both oil pans for the gsxr1000 that I found include swing arms for the pump(I think), that prevent oil starvation during accel/braking. I would mostly be concerned about how these pans would perform during lateral G's and cornering. And, I wouldn't necessarilly say Suzuki is being lazy if the pan is the same. Why build 5 different oil pans for each bike when you can build 1 oil pan for every bike? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not quite sure where you get your info. The GSXR dry sump pan is built and sold for people sticking it in cars. I've never seen one in a motorcycle application. If you put a slim pan on a sportbike, you need to dry sump it with a tank. Where are you gonna put a 1-2 qt oil tank on a modern japanese sport bike? And have you picked up a stock cast AL oil pan? good luck making one that is lighter.

Also, the exhaust is routed under the motor and is the lowest point on the bike, so shortening your oil pan does jack shit for being able to lower the bike. BTW, people who lower sport bikes are F*#@ing stupid. As worthless as guys who drag race their bikes. If you can't turn your bike, please do all us a favor and bin it into a telephone pole please.

As for the pan being the same on all the suzuki bikes, yes it is dumb. The 600 is 40% smaller than the 1000. It makes about 60 hp less as well. This means everything in the motor should be smaller both because of displacement and the minimum strength of gears, shafts, clutches, etc. Putting the same size pan on both motors means one of them is not optimized. Go sit on a 600 and a literbike some time. First thing you notice is how much wider the literbike is.

I guess that's why I ride a Honda. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Brett Neale
09-17-2007, 03:31 AM
When we did our sump last year, we took an old stock sump and went to the library to stick it on the photocopier! I hope nobody saw us... We scanned that into the comp and traced the outline, pumped it into a mill and got our bolt-on flange to weld to the rest of it.

Conor
09-17-2007, 06:48 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Conor:

Actually, they make low profile oil pans for the GSXR1000 for two reasons. The first being that a lot of people drag race them and thus want the bike to be lighter and closer to the ground. The second being a lot of people customize the bike and drop the frame close to the ground to "pimp it out" - which is pretty lame in my opinion. Either way, both oil pans for the gsxr1000 that I found include swing arms for the pump(I think), that prevent oil starvation during accel/braking. I would mostly be concerned about how these pans would perform during lateral G's and cornering. And, I wouldn't necessarilly say Suzuki is being lazy if the pan is the same. Why build 5 different oil pans for each bike when you can build 1 oil pan for every bike? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not quite sure where you get your info. The GSXR dry sump pan is built and sold for people sticking it in cars. I've never seen one in a motorcycle application. If you put a slim pan on a sportbike, you need to dry sump it with a tank. Where are you gonna put a 1-2 qt oil tank on a modern japanese sport bike? And have you picked up a stock cast AL oil pan? good luck making one that is lighter.

Also, the exhaust is routed under the motor and is the lowest point on the bike, so shortening your oil pan does jack shit for being able to lower the bike. BTW, people who lower sport bikes are F*#@ing stupid. As worthless as guys who drag race their bikes. If you can't turn your bike, please do all us a favor and bin it into a telephone pole please.

As for the pan being the same on all the suzuki bikes, yes it is dumb. The 600 is 40% smaller than the 1000. It makes about 60 hp less as well. This means everything in the motor should be smaller both because of displacement and the minimum strength of gears, shafts, clutches, etc. Putting the same size pan on both motors means one of them is not optimized. Go sit on a 600 and a literbike some time. First thing you notice is how much wider the literbike is.

I guess that's why I ride a Honda. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here are just two manufacturers of the oil pan I'm talking about:

http://www.mpsracing.com/products/MPS/OilPan.asp
http://www.rpmcycleperformance.com/products_suzuki.htm

I agree that it's stupid to drop your bike to pimp it out, but if I can get one of these pans to work, I'll stop being such a critic.

Cody Borders
09-27-2007, 06:57 PM
I have used this pan on my 1000cc engines with great success. The only trick to these pans is the pick-up must be cut down slightly, but they will give you detailed instructions.

http://www.eliminatorracecars.com/new/images/catalog/GS...llet%20Oil%20Pan.JPG (http://www.eliminatorracecars.com/new/images/catalog/GSXR%201000%20Billet%20Oil%20Pan.JPG)

Dave M
09-28-2007, 10:37 AM
"When we did our sump last year, we took an old stock sump and went to the library to stick it on the photocopier! I hope nobody saw us... We scanned that into the comp and traced the outline, pumped it into a mill and got our bolt-on flange to weld to the rest of it."

You could also use a transfer punch as well. less damage to the photcopier.

The only problem that we found with welding was the warpage.

busisa
09-29-2012, 05:48 PM
Can anybody assist me with the way of analysing oil sloshing in a wet sump. I have done some tutorials on Ansys but my problem is how to create water on Ansys. Can anyone assist me on this situation. Or can anyone tell the program which this oil sloshing can be analysed.

Rex Chan
10-02-2012, 01:15 AM
I'm not sure if anyone actually does this. I suspect most teams just use logic. Though this would explain why ours doesn't work very well.

kcapitano
10-02-2012, 06:13 AM
My team was looking into doing a similar sort of analysis but we couldn't figure it out either. We just took an old engine apart and put used oil into the bottom half of the engine bloc (with the top half removed). Then we held the engine at varying angles (corresponding to the lateral Gs we pull) and marked lines in the oil pan to illustrate how far the oil was sloshing.