PDA

View Full Version : TIG welder

carmaxxx
01-13-2007, 08:59 PM
hi, we are deciding to buy a new TIG welding machine for our FSAE workshop. Can you guys please suggest some good machines and specifications.

carmaxxx
01-13-2007, 08:59 PM
hi, we are deciding to buy a new TIG welding machine for our FSAE workshop. Can you guys please suggest some good machines and specifications.

BStoney
01-13-2007, 09:06 PM
I recommend Miller, one with both AC and DC capability. Square wave is probably what you'll find on most AC machines these days, but that is a good thing since the frequency is also typically variable from ~60 Hz to ~120 Hz.

What kind of $$ are you working with? What kind of materials? What thicknesses? I feel those are some things to think about before you select the right machine for your application.

My .02...

carmaxxx
01-13-2007, 09:10 PM
We're going to be working with MS this year, but we're planning to use 4130 or aluminum in the coming years. But for this year its definitely MS.

Thicknesses will obviously be 4mm max, but generally between 1.5 and 2.5mm.

Jersey Tom
01-13-2007, 10:00 PM
I've only worked with Millers, but I love em.

Standard squarewave machine.. go with the Syncrowave. Its a squarewave machine, does steel and aluminum both well. Kind of big.

If you want to be a pimp, go with the Dynasty. Advanced squarewave, inverter power supply, adjustable AC frequency. Makes for MUCH tighter aluminum welds. And its super compact and portable.

Something in the 200amp range should work for everything you do plus some extra.

mtg
01-14-2007, 09:31 AM
Look at Lincoln also, I think they have some sort of FSAE deal (or maybe it's just the welder they give away at Detroit).

I used a Lincoln squarewave 175 for a few years when I was in school, and I was impressed by it. The 175 model has been replaced since then with the squarewave 185 which has a couple extra features that are nice to have (like autopulsing for aluminum welding) and 10 more amps.

The only time you will really need more than 150 amps is if you are welding thick aluminum. Most of the welding for steel parts on the car will probably be done much lower than that.

Parker
01-14-2007, 10:42 AM
It's not one of the "big two" of welding, but you may want to try the ThermalArc Arcmaster 185. These machines are super nice and even the used ones are selling for nearly as much as the new ones. They have advanced squarewave controls as well.

http://www.thermadyne.com/evolution/brandProductSpecifi...catnbr=99&pdtnbr=567 (http://www.thermadyne.com/evolution/brandProductSpecific.asp?mernbr=1&div=tai&catnbr=99&pdtnbr=567)

jwill211
01-14-2007, 10:26 PM
Miller syncrowave series, I have the syncrowave 250dx in my shop and another at work, and at school we have a miller goldstar, which is ancient but still works pretty good. The syncrowave series is just in my own recommendation the best bang for the buck you will find in a fairly heavy duty package. Whatever you do if you decide to go with a miller, spend the extra money on a syncrowave and not try and save some money by buying the econotig. The econotig is missing a ton of features that will make it hard to live with in the long run if your TIG skill levels improve. If lincoln offers a good discount for being involved in SAE, I would think about it, but I have found they have the most lousy customer service that I have experienced in a while. My vote is you would be bucks up by going with a miller, a syncrowave would be a great choice and if you had some serious cash, a dynasty series.

KU_Racing
01-15-2007, 06:44 AM
I have used both Miller and Lincoln MIG and TIG welders. I would reccommend a Lincoln Electric TIG 275, or a similar model. Awesome functionality, extremely easy to use.. and the best on thin materials. Lincoln's HF start and low-amperage arc control are superior to miller's (IMHO), although I would use a miller if average thickness for my weldments was 1/4 inch or above (which im sure yours wont be....). If you do, however, get a miller, definately spring for a Dynasty. The difference in functionality between the different miller product lines is huge, and the dynasty is a much more cabable and easy to use welder. The biggest difference will be once you start welding large amounts of aluminum. The dynasty will weld like a champ. In my experience, compared to a miller welder, the lincoln products are much better on thin materials, aluminum, and titanium.

RawePower
01-15-2007, 07:05 PM
Lincoln has a motorsports discount available to anyone involved with racing. I bought my own personal welder from them, using the discount. If you go with that route, Lincoln definitely has the best value (must order direct. info available on their website). However, if you can foot the bill, I suggesting paying more to get a Miller. Millers are pretty robust, while the Lincolns typically have many more chincy plastic parts. The wire feed mechanism on my Lincoln Mig is almost entirely plastic. When I get around to purchasing my own Tig, it will be a Miller Syncrowave.