PDA

View Full Version : Polygon drawing to spline

Mikejkd
05-02-2005, 01:43 PM
Does anyone have a program or name of a program that will take a drawing from a polygon based and turn it into a .dxf or another spline base so I can cut on a cnc.

Thanks
Mike

Mikejkd
05-02-2005, 01:43 PM
Does anyone have a program or name of a program that will take a drawing from a polygon based and turn it into a .dxf or another spline base so I can cut on a cnc.

Thanks
Mike

MikeWaggoner at UW
05-04-2005, 10:39 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">oes anyone have a program or name of a program that will take a drawing from a polygon based and turn it into a .dxf or another spline base so I can cut on a cnc. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rhino 3d, Nurbs modeling

Jersey Tom
05-08-2005, 09:34 AM
Do you mean turn it into vector based, as opposed to raster?

If you're doin CNC work stay away from splines. Unless your machine has spline interpolation its going to have to break that curve up until a ton of G1 moves. Which isnt so bad if your machine has infinite look-ahead and can read through code blocks real quick, but your program size grows ridiculously fast and you'll have to run it DNC.

If you use MasterCAM there's "ras2vec" under the converters menu I believe. Can take a raster image and convert it to vector format. Works fairly well. You'll have to do some cleaning up though.

Hope that helps.