PDA

View Full Version : Damper modeling in SolidWorks/COSMOS Motion

El Kevino
09-21-2004, 07:24 PM
I'm working on a 3D dynamic model of our Mini Baja. We're particulary interested with the difficult task of level jumping, something that plagues Bajas due to their limited power.

In the COSMOS Motion package, you can insert a damper into a dynamic model. Then you fill in a blank for the damping coefficient, in pound-seconds per inch. This gives a simple relationship between velocity and force which has little to do with reality.

I want to be able to input a function for the force/velocity curve of our dampers, or at least have a different value for compression and rebound. Do any of you know how to do this?

Thanks,
Kevin Edwards

El Kevino
09-21-2004, 07:24 PM
I'm working on a 3D dynamic model of our Mini Baja. We're particulary interested with the difficult task of level jumping, something that plagues Bajas due to their limited power.

In the COSMOS Motion package, you can insert a damper into a dynamic model. Then you fill in a blank for the damping coefficient, in pound-seconds per inch. This gives a simple relationship between velocity and force which has little to do with reality.

I want to be able to input a function for the force/velocity curve of our dampers, or at least have a different value for compression and rebound. Do any of you know how to do this?

Thanks,
Kevin Edwards

Denny Trimble
09-22-2004, 07:33 AM
I'll have to look into it, but I think COSMOS/Motion supports linear dampers only. ADAMS/CAR probably supports nonlinear dampers, but it's a few times harder to learn and make sense of. It is free to universities though, as long as you have network access to a license of ADAMS.