PDA

View Full Version : Clarification of Rule B4.2.1 - FSAE 2009

Bazanaius
09-16-2008, 09:21 AM
Hey guys, before I tryand contact the rules people, I was wondering if anyone could clarify the rule regarding the template that must pass down the length of the cockpit for FSAE 2009 rules.

It states:

"A free vertical cross section, which allows the template shown to be passed horizontally through the cockpit to a point 100mm rearwards of the face of the rearmost pedal when in the inoperative position, must be maintained over its entire length."

I am wondering - if we have adjustable pedal position, would this be measured for our smallest driver or for percy? I.e pedals closest to rear of car or farthest forward?

To keep safe I could design for percy, but I thought I'd check what people are designing around.

Baz

Bazanaius
09-16-2008, 09:21 AM
Hey guys, before I tryand contact the rules people, I was wondering if anyone could clarify the rule regarding the template that must pass down the length of the cockpit for FSAE 2009 rules.

It states:

"A free vertical cross section, which allows the template shown to be passed horizontally through the cockpit to a point 100mm rearwards of the face of the rearmost pedal when in the inoperative position, must be maintained over its entire length."

I am wondering - if we have adjustable pedal position, would this be measured for our smallest driver or for percy? I.e pedals closest to rear of car or farthest forward?

To keep safe I could design for percy, but I thought I'd check what people are designing around.

Baz

Drew Price
09-16-2008, 10:08 AM
We can stipulate all we want, but I think that's rules committee territory.

I would interpret it to mean with the pedals all the way forward to be on the safe side, but we know how rushed tech can be at some of the comptitions.

Does Mssr. Percy have legs now? http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif They did all our fit tests during tech with the tallest driver, I'd assume it'd have to be set up for them.

Best,
Drew

Bazanaius
09-16-2008, 10:24 AM
Sorry, Percy is actually a quadraplegic. I do mean tallest driver (Who will probably be christened Percy just to keep it simple).

I think I shall contact the committee, but for now assume it's for 'Percy'.

Drew Price
09-16-2008, 02:20 PM
I want to recruit a freshman named Percy this year, and insist to Mr. Royce that he fits.

Best,
Drew