PDA

View Full Version : motec m400 in yamaha r6 2007

arunclassic500
08-26-2012, 02:52 AM
hi,
am actually doing my dissertation in optimisation and calibration of yamaha r6 engine with motec m400. have anyone one worked on this ecu and engine before. if so please post.

Rex Chan
08-26-2012, 05:03 AM
Since most 4 cylinders appear to be pretty similar, what do you want to know? I've worked on an M400 and CBR600RR. You'll get better responses if you actually have a question about something specfic.

Since you're asking such a vague question, I'm guessing you're new to FSAE. Since your location is in the UK, I'd recommend visiting other FSAE teams to see what they're doing and how they do it.

jlangholzj
08-26-2012, 11:11 AM
why is it that we get SO many posts about someone "doing their dissertation" or "my graduate project is" that seemingly have NO knowledge on anything whatsoever??? I mean good lord have you had your entire life spoon fed to you? You ARE on the internet after-all, try and do some looking around and learn on your own before asking questions like a freshman.

(I'm grumpy because i couldn't get in the shop all weekend AND school starts this week)

arunclassic500
08-26-2012, 03:08 PM
hi Rex Chan and Jlangholzj,
Am not working for FSAE dude. And am new to FSAE too. I need a base map to start the engine and want to know about the procedure to follow after starting the engine. when i spoke to my prof, he just said i have to do engine calibration and optimisation. am done with the wiring. Am little afraid to start the engine because if something goes wrong, i will be fired in the university. that is the reason am asking help in forums.

jlangholzj
08-26-2012, 04:20 PM
1) You're making it way to easy to prove my point. Try to do some digging and come back. Everything that you want to know and more is available to you. Try and actually make an effort.

2) you're not going to blow the engine up. Worst case scenario is that you burn the starter out trying to get it running, which considering how long i've cranked on ours, shouldn't be an issue either.

3) follow Rex's advice, find a resource locally that can help you out, from the sounds of it, you've a) got no experience in engine tuning/dynamics and b) this project sounds like it was given to you. Thats going to make an uphill battle for you if you don't have someone nearby to help out. I'm no-where close to being a "pro" at tuning engines but holy cow did i spend lots of time and cigarettes down at the shop either tuning the car in or sitting in front of a computer looking at data acq plots/graphs to tune it in.

4) what exactly does he want out of "calibration and optimization" there's a lot of different things that particular phrase can mean.
-calibrate:
*im assuming that this is a baseline torque/power curve with the stock system. Also characterizing motor specifications like flow rates and temperatures to tell how its behaving.

-optimize:
*optimize for power? thats 0.9 lambda. optimize for emissions? (i believe) thats 1.0 lambda. or optimize for fuel economy? 1.1 lambda. optimize torque output as well? ignition maps are going to be your best friend.

also it sounds like this is for FSAE and not just some unrelated school function, so fuel type, packaging constraints, intake/exhaust design and a slough of other things come to mind that will all play a part in getting what you want out of the engine.

I'll be more than happy to help but you're going to have to want it a little more than just "tell me what to do". A college student working on their dissertation should be held to a higher standard than that.

Adambomb
08-27-2012, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by jlangholzj:
1) You're making it way to easy to prove my point. Try to do some digging and come back. Everything that you want to know and more is available to you. Try and actually make an effort.

+1

You're doing your dissertation on something that is most often done by undergrads themselves, outside of classes, and with very little outside help? What sort of dissertation is this? And here I have my professor telling me that my PhD work isn't original enough, lol.

Dunk Mckay
08-27-2012, 01:27 PM
arun, are you BMM by any chance? If so it's a little bit late to be asking these kind of questions, this is prep work that should have been done a long time ago. If not please ignore this comment.

MCoach
08-30-2012, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by arunclassic500:
Am little afraid to start the engine because if something goes wrong, i will be fired in the university. that is the reason am asking help in forums.

Look, dude.

If blowing up an engine is beyond your budget, a high-strung (high specific output) motor might not be the place to start.
Maybe something closer to a Ford Ranger motor. Non-interference, low compression, durable. It'll get you off the ground. But, now that you already seem to have the motor, the next step is creating a base map. Don't be scared, run that tune pig rich until you get the timing correct. It'll take a little math on your flow rates and where the piston position is for fuel and spark, but that's where you start.

So, tell us this:

What is your background in engines and what exactly is being "optimized" because that is a pretty taboo word around here. How much do you know and how far do you plan to go? This will allow us to better gauge how to respond.

PS, It would be nice to finally get some conversation going. I'm tired of leaving a post and never hearing back...

Dunk Mckay
08-31-2012, 12:12 AM
I would also ask that you be really carefully with the engine. Make sure you keep it properly cooled and monitor temperature closely, other than just damaging the engine, it's got a custom race cam in there and we'd especially rather that didn't end up warped, or worse.