PDA

View Full Version : Steering rack questions

rjwoods77
09-11-2004, 01:46 PM
Hey Folks,
I just joined a formula team at my transfer college. I built 3 mini baja cars at my community college so I am up the challenge of being head engineer of this team. I used a stilleto rack for those 3 cars i built. Loved them but i am looking for a rack that has a complete body that runs out to the clevises. I really hate doing supports. I just want to have a rack I can clamp mount at the ends and just use the center bolts to prevent rotation. Any help would be appreciated.

rjwoods77
09-11-2004, 01:46 PM
Hey Folks,
I just joined a formula team at my transfer college. I built 3 mini baja cars at my community college so I am up the challenge of being head engineer of this team. I used a stilleto rack for those 3 cars i built. Loved them but i am looking for a rack that has a complete body that runs out to the clevises. I really hate doing supports. I just want to have a rack I can clamp mount at the ends and just use the center bolts to prevent rotation. Any help would be appreciated.

Kevin Hayward
09-12-2004, 05:50 AM
Rob,

A rack and pinion is a relatively straight-forward to design and build. You should look into it as an option compared to buying one.

Kev

J. Cheng
09-12-2004, 10:50 AM
"Stilleto" racks are made by a fellow call Gary Wood at Woodhaven Industry. He also makes a rack that has tube extensions (complete with bronze outboard support bushings for the rack ends) which are pressed into the standard pinion housing. He can also customize the tube length (and rack length) to meet your design specs. The rack can be supplied with mounting blocks if you want. He doesn't sell this rack as a standard product but will supply them on a custom order if you call him. I don't have his phone number at home but can get it for you on Monday when I get back to my office. I know other FSAE teams have ordered racks from him directly, maybe someone can supply his phone number before I get to it.

For the low price he charges, I can't think of a reason why anyone would want to make their own.

Joe

Charlie
09-12-2004, 10:56 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by J. Cheng:
For the low price he charges, I can't think of a reason why anyone would want to make their own.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Better product maybe? Better integrated design? I would venture that in the end an in-house rack would often be cheaper, though obviously more time-comsuming.

rjwoods77
09-12-2004, 11:56 AM
I know Gary very well. I never knew he made them with extensions. I'll call him on monday and talk to him. I could easily make my own but our team hasn't the time or people to do it. Have you recieved one of these Cheng? Is the tube extension a good strong fit that i can clamp onto?

J. Cheng
09-12-2004, 07:55 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rob Woods: Have you recieved one of these Cheng? Is the tube extension a good strong fit that i can clamp onto? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I have one on my new car. The mounting blocks clamp onto the tubes. Gary also supplied the rack on my last car. Both of them are very well made (I can't say that for some of my other suppliers).

Joe

rjwoods77
09-12-2004, 09:37 PM
Thanks man. Sounds cool. You have any pics? How much did he hit you for it? Do you still use the center section bolts? I assume you would use those for anti-rotation or do you really need to bother because the clamps are strong enough to hold it.

J. Cheng
09-13-2004, 08:11 AM
Sorry, no picture taken. For this rack, there is no centre holes provided. The mounting blocks and the tubes are strong enough by themselves. I paid around $260 for it (about a year ago).

Joe

rjwoods77
09-13-2004, 03:02 PM
Cool. This was the other option I was looking into. Just gotta find out how much and what they can do.

http://www.projectlmp.com/images/Bought_Components/rack2.JPG

Marshall Grice
09-19-2004, 10:32 AM
J. Cheng can you post the number for Gary Wood.
Thanks

J. Cheng
09-21-2004, 05:34 PM
Gary's number: 815-732-2806

Joe

Marshall Grice
09-21-2004, 08:11 PM
Thanks Joe.