PDA

View Full Version : Wires in Steering Column

VT_Electrical
07-30-2007, 02:40 PM
For those of you who use an electrical connector inside the steering wheel quick disconnect assembly (LEMO or otherwise), do you have any ideas on the best way to run the wires out of the steering column? In the past, we have just drilled a hole in the steering column before the U joint, but that was when we only had 4 wires. Now, I am looking at 8-10 wires, and I am concerned about putting a larger hole in. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jim Sracic
VT Motorsports

VT_Electrical
07-30-2007, 02:40 PM
For those of you who use an electrical connector inside the steering wheel quick disconnect assembly (LEMO or otherwise), do you have any ideas on the best way to run the wires out of the steering column? In the past, we have just drilled a hole in the steering column before the U joint, but that was when we only had 4 wires. Now, I am looking at 8-10 wires, and I am concerned about putting a larger hole in. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jim Sracic
VT Motorsports

Maverik
07-30-2007, 06:13 PM
Don't know if it is possible for your setup, but we run the wires all the way to the back of the rack... ie hollow steering column and hollow pinion so the wires can drop out the back.

Mike Sadie
07-30-2007, 08:57 PM
you could weld in a bung, of sorts, perpendicular to the column to strengthen the hole. I think Maverik's idea is cleaner, though.

VT_Electrical
07-31-2007, 06:34 AM
I like the idea of taking wires all the way to the back of the rack, but how can you prevent them from getting caught/twisted too much in the U joint? Or maybe this just isn't as much of a concern as I have been thinking it is?

Maverik
07-31-2007, 08:34 AM
Haha, simple... don't run a u joint!