PDA

View Full Version : Website advice

afroney
01-14-2007, 01:06 PM
A question for all the team webmasters:

How do you guys all manage your websites? Frontpage, Dreamweaver, HTML? I've seen some excellent team websites out there. I delegated our updates and website changes to a new member, but he couldn't hack FSAE and quit on me. Any advice to a newbie on website management? What application-based software package would be the easiest to learn/use. I don't want to redo our website, its great. I just want to add a few new features/functions

afroney
01-14-2007, 01:06 PM
A question for all the team webmasters:

How do you guys all manage your websites? Frontpage, Dreamweaver, HTML? I've seen some excellent team websites out there. I delegated our updates and website changes to a new member, but he couldn't hack FSAE and quit on me. Any advice to a newbie on website management? What application-based software package would be the easiest to learn/use. I don't want to redo our website, its great. I just want to add a few new features/functions

Brian S
01-14-2007, 01:58 PM
I use Dreamweaver MX for our site. I has a nice WYSIWYG for quick updates and the click of a button switches it to a code view for more complicated things. The big feature that I like is that it has an integrated FTP client, so it can upload the new copies of pages to the server right when you save it

Jersey Tom
01-14-2007, 02:56 PM
I prefer Frontpage but for whatever reason we have Dreamweaver installed on our web server here.

Keep it simple, simple table layouts. Make it look good with clutch graphics. I like how ours turned out (link in sig).

Wesley
01-15-2007, 02:50 AM
I have used Frontpage pretty extensively, but above all, Tom is right on. Arranging the site is fairly easy, even if you are to do it in HTML. What separates a good website from a mediocre one is graphics, color scheme, and ease of navigation.

Lay everything out logically with a flowchart, get a basic site design idea, then get someone with mad Photoshop skillz to make you up your buttons/headers, then put it all together.

I also hate Flash and fancy things that are all moving and such. A well designed website doesn't need to be a bandwidth hog, and any dial-up visitors will be grateful that you kept things still.

Nima
01-16-2007, 04:52 AM
I prefer to use the CMS(Content Management System). There is some free professional CMS's that every one can download it and use.
More information:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Content_management_system
A list of free CMS's:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_content_management_systems