PDA

View Full Version : Slip Ratio

Logan
03-21-2010, 08:40 AM
Can someone please explain what excatly slip ratio is?? i tried to read RCVD but it was quite vague there.
it said that slip ratio was the difference between the angular velocity of the wheel when accelerated and when it is rolling freely.
but how do u measure the angular velocity of an accelerated wheel???
can someone pls make it more clear!!!

Logan
03-21-2010, 08:40 AM
Can someone please explain what excatly slip ratio is?? i tried to read RCVD but it was quite vague there.
it said that slip ratio was the difference between the angular velocity of the wheel when accelerated and when it is rolling freely.
but how do u measure the angular velocity of an accelerated wheel???
can someone pls make it more clear!!!

Pete Marsh
03-21-2010, 08:58 AM
It's the amount the tyre is spinning. As in the ratio of the speed the car is traveling, and the speed the drive tyres are doing. ie the speed the car would be going if there was no rear wheel slip.

exFSAE
03-21-2010, 01:13 PM
http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=%22slip+ratio%22&l=1

Logan
03-21-2010, 05:30 PM
Pete do you mean to say that the slip ratio is changing at every instant of acceleration or braking!!

Logan
03-21-2010, 06:13 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by exFSAE:
http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=%22slip+ratio%22&l=1 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>ohhh i never figured that out

The_Man
03-22-2010, 12:21 AM
Yes it is changing every time. It is the slip angle analogue for longitudinal forces. RCVD does a good job explaining. It is slightly confusing with the multiple definitions but stick to one and it'll be clear.

The "let me google that for you" link was there to suggest that this question is not taken well by the community here. If you go through already existing posts you will find the answer to most of your beginner questions and also why I am stressing on this point. Please read the FSAE teams from India thread, right to the end.

Logan
03-23-2010, 03:16 AM
well thanks mahek....and i do understand that ppl do get frustrated when the same question is repeated again and again but then this certainly was not clear enough so i had to ask it out....
anyways now i got the concept and no worries...
thanks all!!!