PDA

View Full Version : pressure sensor for engine dyno

waveslayer
02-09-2011, 04:05 PM
We have a land and sea water brake dyno that we are setting up. I'm trying to hook up the sensors on the engine so they will read through the wiring harness onto the computer dashboard display. The pressure sensor on the bike (CBR 600 f4i) has 1 wire. I need a 5v signal for the dyno(at least 2 wire sensor). Looking for advice/info on what to do. What kind of signal does the stock sensor wire carry? Should I look for a different style pressure sensor?

waveslayer
02-09-2011, 04:05 PM
We have a land and sea water brake dyno that we are setting up. I'm trying to hook up the sensors on the engine so they will read through the wiring harness onto the computer dashboard display. The pressure sensor on the bike (CBR 600 f4i) has 1 wire. I need a 5v signal for the dyno(at least 2 wire sensor). Looking for advice/info on what to do. What kind of signal does the stock sensor wire carry? Should I look for a different style pressure sensor?

Kevin Dunn
02-09-2011, 04:36 PM
I believe the sensor you are speaking of is the pressure switch...All this does is illuminate a light on the stock bike cluster, letting the operator know that oil pressure is insufficient. You'll have to replace that with an actual transducer.

Kirk Feldkamp
02-09-2011, 04:44 PM
Are you talking about oil pressure? Most sportbikes have a 1-wire oil switch on the case (usually down by the pump/pan) that indicates if oil pressure drops below a certain level. Most air pressure sensors you'll find on these engines are actually 0-5V, 3 wire devices. There are 2-wire current based pressure sensors out there, but I haven't noticed one on a sportbike engine before. Completely possible, however. Perhaps they're using the sensor body as the ground? That's how most 1-wire 'sensors' that I've seen work.

-Kirk

Kirk Feldkamp
02-09-2011, 04:51 PM
Damn, I got distracted and you beat me to the "Post Now" button. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif