PDA

View Full Version : Wing/Impact Attenuator Test

Pearl
01-13-2011, 12:43 PM
Greetings all, I hope this isn't posted somewhere else. I briefly searched, but didn't find anything. If you know of any information, please link me to it.

We are considering putting wings on our car for the first time this year. We have the profiles picked out, built a scale and full size prototype and all that. Then we realized we need to test it with the impact attenuator. Can I get any information/recommendations on how to do that? Our wing would be unsprung mounted, so it will not be directly attached to the frame like the impact attenuator. It really doesn't make much sense to me how you could include both of those tests in the same impact experiment and expect good results, but maybe I am missing something.

Forever grateful for your wisdom,

-Pearl

Pearl
01-13-2011, 12:43 PM
Greetings all, I hope this isn't posted somewhere else. I briefly searched, but didn't find anything. If you know of any information, please link me to it.

We are considering putting wings on our car for the first time this year. We have the profiles picked out, built a scale and full size prototype and all that. Then we realized we need to test it with the impact attenuator. Can I get any information/recommendations on how to do that? Our wing would be unsprung mounted, so it will not be directly attached to the frame like the impact attenuator. It really doesn't make much sense to me how you could include both of those tests in the same impact experiment and expect good results, but maybe I am missing something.

Forever grateful for your wisdom,

-Pearl

Screech F50
01-13-2011, 01:29 PM
We were looking at the rules last night. From what we translate, the only thing that you have to test with the IA is the wing supports if they are forward of the front bulkhead at any point, not the wing itself. (correct me if I'm wrong)

See rule B3.22.2

Lorenzo Pessa
01-14-2011, 12:59 AM
From the rules you have to test only the supports.
I haven't found an IA test video with this kind of configuration.
Here you can find some pics from monash website.

h t t p ://w ww.wt.net.au/monashmotorsport/news/archives2.php?start_from=5&ucat=&archive=1275762441&subaction=list-archive&id=&

I think there is a not written rule: the wing supports have to be designed rearward the bulkhead so you don't need to test it.

Ask to judges to be sure!

Scott Wordley
01-22-2011, 10:42 PM
Hi,

We have never completed an IA test with wing mounts, as currently they are behind the front bulk head. Given the increase in package space for 2011, part of our FW mounts will likely be forward of the attenuator this year. I think we need to talk to rules committee and maybe show them some designs to see how this is going to work. I have a feeling that they wrote the rues with only "sprung" wing mounts in mind, ie bolting directly to the chassis. I am hoping that unsprung mounts (going to the outboard suspension directly) will not have to be included in the IA test.

There is no way to replicate the entire front suspension of the car, short of building one specifically to crash. Plus all the rodends and thin wall links in our system would fail pretty quick if subjected to a front end crash. We know this first hand from an off course expedition in 2002.

Lorenzo Pessa
01-23-2011, 01:42 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scott Wordley:
Given the increase in package space for 2011 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok, reading your post I suppose Monash will use all this new space.
I'm waiting to see the new car.

Scott Wordley
01-26-2011, 10:29 PM
Of course we will!
Why wouldn't you? (Maryland Steve, feel free to explain haha)

Can;t wait to see what the US teams come up with in May? Will we see any winged Europeans this year?

Sounds like a good idea for a new topic....

Lorenzo Pessa
01-27-2011, 12:57 AM
I'm working on an aero package.
For sure I can say that will be no wing on our car for 2011.

I don't think we will see many winged European cars.
Making wings is too much expensive for this period. I "notice" that it is harder to find sponsors also for raw materials.
Following the development in hybrid solution of FSUK and FSE Germany, I can add that many team are shifting to alternative propulsion systems. Design efforts and money are in that direction.

Ok, my post is totally out of topic. I will open a new one.