PDA

View Full Version : Ricardo Input

Samy
12-19-2010, 09:40 AM
hey,
i m working on Honda cbr 600f4i n i m using ricardo for simulating it....It's my first time using this software. Can any help me out in getting inputs like curve for throttle position vs rpm vs burn duration vs pulse width for fuel injection. Can anybody let me know the procedure to get the graphs mentioned above????
Also i m not having my engine unassembled, so if anyone could help in getting data like piston, liner and head thickness???
thanks

samy

Samy
12-19-2010, 09:40 AM
hey,
i m working on Honda cbr 600f4i n i m using ricardo for simulating it....It's my first time using this software. Can any help me out in getting inputs like curve for throttle position vs rpm vs burn duration vs pulse width for fuel injection. Can anybody let me know the procedure to get the graphs mentioned above????
Also i m not having my engine unassembled, so if anyone could help in getting data like piston, liner and head thickness???
thanks

samy

Jay Lawrence
12-20-2010, 09:11 PM
With Ricardo, i found that in order to do any meaningful work you need to build and fully test the engine before even attempting to place it into the software (for example, piston top temperature vs. RPM....). Many of the inputs for Ricardo are beyond the resources of a FSAE team. You're better off with a dyno and some workshop resources to make stuff. I tried very hard to model a F4 on Ricardo and in the end it was very difficult to gain much meaningful data (tried to put our turbo on there too, didn't like it). However, by using the Ricardo suggested inputs and some common sense / simple calcs you can build a basic engine that can be used to come up with some trends (eg cam timing and lift, injector spacing, etc).

If you're not having your engine disassembled you are missing out on a good learning opportunity (unless you know it inside out already)

Samy
12-20-2010, 10:35 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jay Lawrence:
(for example, piston top temperature vs. RPM....).

If you're not having your engine disassembled you are missing out on a good learning opportunity (unless you know it inside out already) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am using conduction model for building engine thus Piston temp, Liner temp, head temp vs RPM are not needed. Driver has only two inputs which are accerlator(throttle position) pedal and load (like going up the plane) so We first need to know Throttle position vs RPM and then Pulse for injection vs RPM vs Throttle position.
Most ironical is i removed my inlet manifold from model and directly connected engine to ambient using 4 ducts but there was no change in output torque curve. I removed restrictor but there was no change in air mass flow rate etc. How this is all happening??!!!!

Samy

Jay Lawrence
12-21-2010, 01:08 PM
Oh righto, that sounds easier then.

Throttle position versus RPM? You mean for a given load? Without load these engines will go to redline at very low throttle and very quickly.

I played with Ricardo a couple of years ago so my memory is a bit hazy, but i do recall it having issues with the restrictor (or, more likely, me having issues implementing it properly). However, i found that the tutorials were very good for getting a base line and then i changed some variables from there and got reasonable results (reasonable in terms of trends, but not directly comparable to dyno output).

A more simple program is Engine Analyser Pro, which is easier to get results from and will give you trends for plenum sizes and runner lengths and cam timing etc