PDA

View Full Version : Registration Procedure for European FS/FSAE Events 2011

AvinashJagtap
12-04-2010, 10:50 PM
Hi everyone,
Since the European FS/FSAE Registrations are starting from next month (JAN 2011), its very important for us to know the actual position and procedure for registration.

The registration for all European Events are together for 2011. (I read this on FSG website)
The dates for Germany & Italy are same as 10th and 17th JAN
but there is still no confirmation from IMechE, Hungary and Austria.

1)Can anyone tell me why all these registrations are happening on same date???
2)What questions are asked during FSG registration?? How many & do we get options?

Please share your pass experiences of Registration processes in any FSAE/FS event...

AvinashJagtap
12-05-2010, 01:23 AM
WhAt DOES THIS MEAN>??

In the continuous effort to improve the quality of all the European Formula SAE/Student competitions that are part of the SAE series (Formula Student since 1998, Formula SAE Italy since 2005 and Formula Student Germany since 2010), the Formula SAE/Student World Council agreed to unify the registration process to the official European events.

The registration processes to the Formula SAE/Student competitions within Europe are quite different and this is not going to change overnight. The transition to a unified system requires careful deliberation and, as a result, also some time. The main effort of all the Organising Committees is to make registration to one or more official European competitions as fair and transparent as possible. As a first step, it has been agreed upon to synchronise the registration date for the 2011 events.

JasperC
12-05-2010, 08:22 AM
I think the reason why registration for different events happens simultaneously, is that the organizations of the events can make sure that all teams can get into at least one of the events they apply for.

For FSUK, if more teams register than there are places available, the organization will select the teams who are allowed to come. This means there is no "first come, first serve" rule so you can register any time in the 24 hour window (opening 17 Jan at noon CET).

For FSG, teams have to complete a rules quiz. The time it takes to answer all questions correctly, is what decides which teams can come. Make sure you have some people on your team who know the rules REALLY well because you can get some very specific questions indeed. Plus, if you get some questions wrong, I think you will only be told how many wrong answers you have but not which ones. Last year I believe the quickest time for completing the quiz was about 3 minutes, and the last team to be registered did it in about 20 minutes (anyone confirm?).

For FSAE Italy I don't know what the procedure is.

Good luck!

Jasper Coosemans
DUT Racing Team 2008-2010

Simon Dingle
12-06-2010, 04:06 AM
The fastest time was 1min 45sec.

I think you're right on the last qualifying time being around 20min.

That was the first year though, so we'll see how those times change this year. I think quite a few teams underestimated how competitive the times whould be.

RollingCamel
12-06-2010, 05:30 AM
Furthermore, last year the quiz pointed out which questions you did get wrong. IIRC, they won't this year, which will make it harder where is the problem.

Mehul Botadra
12-06-2010, 05:56 AM
I think they already had that in the 2nd quiz when they realised their mistake.

Expect it to be tougher, I never expected dates to be asked in the 2nd quiz!!

Ben K
12-06-2010, 12:54 PM
It is too bad the FSAE events in the USA don't use that quiz method. FSAE Michigan and West registration kills the SAE servers.

Ben

RollingCamel
12-06-2010, 02:47 PM
Some day an FSAE team will include hackers.

Mentioning hacking...Claude Rouelle was offering OptimumT for free for anyone who cracks it or their other products, on the condition that you tell them how you did it.

JasperC
12-06-2010, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by Mehul Botadra:
I think they already had that in the 2nd quiz when they realised their mistake.

Expect it to be tougher, I never expected dates to be asked in the 2nd quiz!!
Yeah, it was only in the quiz for the early registration that they specified which answers were wrong. For the normal registration one week later, and for the rules quiz to determine the scrutineering order, they only told you how many questions you got wrong. So you can spend minutes trying to find your one error!

I agree with Simon that the times will probably be a bit quicker this year because teams will be better prepared. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

prateek@iitD
01-08-2011, 12:16 PM
hello everyone

Can any one please tell me that

1. what is the extra fee for registering students more than 25(FS UK event)
2. Is the elimination procedure(rule book quiz) is same for FS UK event??

thanks and regards
Prateek Bansal
FSAE, IIT Delhi

BeunMan
01-10-2011, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by RollingCamel:
Some day an FSAE team will include hackers.

Mentioning hacking...Claude Rouelle was offering OptimumT for free for anyone who cracks it or their other products, on the condition that you tell them how you did it.

You can do some estimates on how fast someone could be (just guess), prevent flooding (already done) and since you have to login as the team captain, you always know who did it.

There are some smart guys at FSG who arrange this and there is a quite a big chance to get caught. If you consider it as a viable option, you should consider learning the rules and do some practice runs.

Hints for getting a good time in registration:
- Practice! (must have)
- Team up -> Two know more as one person would
- Use alternative means of knowledge (pdf with search, printed rules, etc.)
- Have at least three captains who all participate in the quiz seperately.

The advantage of this is: You know the rules and therefore you -should- be able to get though scrutinering somewhat quicker.

RollingCamel
01-10-2011, 07:19 AM
"Why so serious?" http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Isn't FSG early registration done by now?