PDA

View Full Version : Automated Transmisson: Doubt about the gear change cilinder return.

PBamberg
07-25-2008, 08:00 AM
Hello guys.

As we know, the cilinder that actuates over the shifter lever, works moving forward or backward and returning to the central position of it`s course. My doubt is: If I take off the pressure in the cilinder, the shift lever can return the cilinder axis to the central position by itself ? If yes; Is it fast enough ?

I`m asking this, because I`m planning to put a second coil into the cilinder (if the shift lever can`t bring the cilinder`s axis back), doing this I garantee that central position; but it is more expensive. So, if the shift lever do it, I don`t need to spend this extra money.

Best regards,

Pedro Bamberg.

PBamberg
07-25-2008, 08:00 AM
Hello guys.

As we know, the cilinder that actuates over the shifter lever, works moving forward or backward and returning to the central position of it`s course. My doubt is: If I take off the pressure in the cilinder, the shift lever can return the cilinder axis to the central position by itself ? If yes; Is it fast enough ?

I`m asking this, because I`m planning to put a second coil into the cilinder (if the shift lever can`t bring the cilinder`s axis back), doing this I garantee that central position; but it is more expensive. So, if the shift lever do it, I don`t need to spend this extra money.

Best regards,

Pedro Bamberg.

Marshall Grice
07-25-2008, 08:06 AM
The factory shifter return spring should be sufficient to return the shift lever back to center in an acceptable amount of time assuming you don't have excessive friction in your shift linkages. Although there should be no real problems if you decide to increas the return spring force.

benjo
07-25-2008, 08:35 AM
As suggested, the factory shifter return should certainly be sufficient. How are you doing shifting? Pneumatic or electronic?

We ran electronic shifting last year with a solenoid activation and easily returned in time. Just hop on a bike a press the gear lever down/up, you'll feel how easily the like to be back in their natural position.

PBamberg
07-25-2008, 09:04 AM
I`m doing a pneumatic shifting.

Thanks for your answers.