PDA

View Full Version : Suspension Track width change

carlosfierros
03-18-2008, 11:16 PM
Hi people,
Could you deeply explain me this .
What happen if I increase the one end car´s track width adding spacers between the wheel an the hub. Will I improve or reduce the lateral capacity of that axle?.
If I increase the track I'll reduce the lateral load transfer and that axle but, on the other hand I'll increase more the roll stiffness (K spring*Track^2/2) thus increasing the lateral load transfer in the axle..?¿
So coming back. Will I improve or reduce the lateral capacity of that axle.?¿¿
Thanks
Carlos

carlosfierros
03-18-2008, 11:16 PM
Hi people,
Could you deeply explain me this .
What happen if I increase the one end car´s track width adding spacers between the wheel an the hub. Will I improve or reduce the lateral capacity of that axle?.
If I increase the track I'll reduce the lateral load transfer and that axle but, on the other hand I'll increase more the roll stiffness (K spring*Track^2/2) thus increasing the lateral load transfer in the axle..?¿
So coming back. Will I improve or reduce the lateral capacity of that axle.?¿¿
Thanks
Carlos

fade
03-19-2008, 02:20 AM
do you have an adjustable roll bar?

Alan
03-19-2008, 03:34 AM
Have you tried plugging in numbers to see what happens when you change values of the variables that effect lateral load transfer?

Brian Evans
03-19-2008, 07:30 AM
Simplistically you will increase grip at the end of the car that you increase the track width. You may need to change other variables like spring rates and ARB rates to regain balance. By doing this with a spacer you will increase scrub and steer axis offset, which will change the feedback of the tire to the steering.

Practically speaking the spacer is the easiest way to test a simple change. It's also the worst way to actually accomplish the change. Different hubs, different wheel offsets or just the right suspension arm lengths are more correct. If I were going to use a spacer over .5" I would mechanically attach it to the hub, not just slip it over the studs. You also what to think about the centering of the wheel on the spacer.

Brian