PDA

View Full Version : Pressure Tuning ?

Kealan O Carroll
07-25-2012, 04:49 AM
We're looking into running E85 Turbo f4i for 2013, I've been doing some research and the biggest problem I can see is trying to tune the system to have different pressures at different ends of the same fluid body. The diagram below shows where Im assuming pressures should be maximised or minimised to get the highest mass flow rate...am I making the right assumptions ?

With the 19mm restrictor, using a discharge coeffecient of .975 (This is pretty standard for a well designed venturi? ) I'm getting a maximum mass flow rate of 62g/s through it, equating to 10,705 max RPM which looks right to me?

I've heard of teams getting turbos sponsored to them by a particular company (Garrett ?).
Does anyone know what the process is to go about looking for a turbo off them ?

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/304896_10151291059619746_803585117_n.jpg

jlangholzj
07-25-2012, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by Kealan O Carroll:
We're looking into running E85 Turbo f4i for 2013, I've been doing some research and the biggest problem I can see is trying to tune the system to have different pressures at different ends of the same fluid body. The diagram below shows where Im assuming pressures should be maximised or minimised to get the highest mass flow rate...am I making the right assumptions ?

With the 19mm restrictor, using a discharge coeffecient of .975 (This is pretty standard for a well designed venturi? ) I'm getting a maximum mass flow rate of 62g/s through it, equating to 10,705 max RPM which looks right to me?

I've heard of teams getting turbos sponsored to them by a particular company (Garrett ?).
Does anyone know what the process is to go about looking for a turbo off them ?

Have a look at the proposed 2013 rules. I believe they are requiring the throttle body be downstream of the turbo so it's not creating vacuum when the butterfly is closed. Just a heads up

Dash
07-25-2012, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by jlangholzj:

Have a look at the proposed 2013 rules. I believe they are requiring the throttle body be downstream of the turbo so it's not creating vacuum when the butterfly is closed. Just a heads up

IC1.7.2 The restrictor must be placed upstream of the compressor but after the carburetor or throttle valve.
Thus, the only sequence allowed is throttle, restrictor, compressor, engine.

What you mentioned was an idea that was thrown around, but what I just quoted is from the 2013 rules draft.

KustomizingKid
07-25-2012, 03:06 PM
The work around the teams who have successfully run turbo engines have implemented some type of PID control to maintain boost pressure up until you start choking the restrictor. Once you enter the choked area they progressively back off the boost and ride the line of the choke point...

Jay Lawrence
07-25-2012, 09:11 PM
Kealan,

not sure where your nearest distributor is but just approach them with a normal sponsorship request and see how you go. We never had problems getting turbos and rebuilds from Garrett Australia (some teams use IHI turbos). We were also doing some quite interesting things with their product that i imagine helped to keep their interest over the years (we were turbo tuning from 2003 till 2009).

The most important parts to know about are speed control, oil flow control and knock protection. The rest is just clever piping http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Also, keep in mind that the F4 clutch (as standard) probably won't handle more than about 80Nm.