PDA

View Full Version : Intake Design

TheBlueHouse
08-31-2009, 11:10 AM
I am designing the intake for my teams formula car this year and am really not sure where to start. Do any of you guys have some good books or papers that you can point me to. I have looked around the forum to get a couple good ideas but was wondering if anyone had something that really helped them that they could point me to. Thanks

TheBlueHouse
08-31-2009, 11:10 AM
I am designing the intake for my teams formula car this year and am really not sure where to start. Do any of you guys have some good books or papers that you can point me to. I have looked around the forum to get a couple good ideas but was wondering if anyone had something that really helped them that they could point me to. Thanks

Wesley
08-31-2009, 11:15 AM
Are you guys a brand new team?

TheBlueHouse
08-31-2009, 11:41 AM
Not really a new team but I am a new memeber and the guy who did the intake last year did not really leave behind much. He did leave Design and Simulation of a 4 stroke by Blair but thats about it

kapps
08-31-2009, 02:53 PM
Start with some searches of Helmholtz tuning, it's the simplest method. It's not perfect but it'll get you close for runner length calculations. True optimization needs testing on the dyno but that may or may not be practical for your team.Keep the flow as smooth as possible and get it done early so you can test and tune. That's the biggest thing.

TheBlueHouse
08-31-2009, 03:25 PM
Thanks

samphlett
09-02-2009, 02:08 AM
A book you may like is this:

THEORY OF ENGINE MANIFOLD DESIGN WAVE ACTION METHODS FOR IC ENGINES

Desmond E Winterbone, Richard J Pearson