PDA

View Full Version : floating calipers

akash
09-25-2008, 11:22 AM
Hi, I am Akash Mody
We are a team of students participating in the Formula Student Competition. Our team name is Orion Racing India and our website is: www.orion-racing.com (http://www.orion-racing.com)

We will be participating in the Formula Student Germany competition for the third year in 2009.

We are planning to use Floating calipers in the front. The problem is that the calipers we have currently is a 2 piston floating 1'' dia caliper
and it does not produce enough force to lock the tires at the moment we apply brake. so can we simply do something by decreasing the fluid linings dia or should we buy new calipers.
and if we need to buy let me know about the suppliers.
Please reply.
Thanks.

Akash Mody,
Braking System Head,
Orion Racing India,
K.J. Somaiya college of Engineering.
+91 9867415444.

akash
09-25-2008, 11:22 AM
Hi, I am Akash Mody
We are a team of students participating in the Formula Student Competition. Our team name is Orion Racing India and our website is: www.orion-racing.com (http://www.orion-racing.com)

We will be participating in the Formula Student Germany competition for the third year in 2009.

We are planning to use Floating calipers in the front. The problem is that the calipers we have currently is a 2 piston floating 1'' dia caliper
and it does not produce enough force to lock the tires at the moment we apply brake. so can we simply do something by decreasing the fluid linings dia or should we buy new calipers.
and if we need to buy let me know about the suppliers.
Please reply.
Thanks.

Akash Mody,
Braking System Head,
Orion Racing India,
K.J. Somaiya college of Engineering.
+91 9867415444.

Stocky Fast 1
09-25-2008, 12:11 PM
You will need to do one of four things:

1. Increase the diamter of your brake rotors, if you have the room and only need a small increase in force.

2. Increase the pedal motion ratio to produce more force into the master cylinders, and therefore through out the system.

3. Decrease the bore of the master cylinder pistion. Example, if you use a 3/4" bore for the front cicuit, try a 5/8" bore. There by increase the output force of the master cylinder.

4. Lastly, if all else fails or you prefere to buy new calipers you can do that, you will need to upgrade to a larger bore caliper. Which could force you to increase rotor diameter.

As well any combination of these can be done to make the system more efficient.

vandit
10-04-2008, 09:30 AM
this was a pretty direct question ....

all the four points that mtm27 wrote are spot on .... but i strongly believe you dont need caliper piston bigger than 1".... you just need proper combination of all things .... and i am assuming that the problems lies in your pedal ratio (mechanical advantage).... and you also mentioned something about brake lines.... i will also suggest that you lines should be 2 mm inside diameter

PatClarke
10-04-2008, 05:20 PM
Akash,

Might I suggest that researching Pascal's Law will provide some answers.

Pat