PDA

View Full Version : the material and the dimension of brake hose?

Frank Ming
05-12-2008, 01:52 AM
hi ,everyone!
what material and dimension of the brake hose is best for the brake system? could you please tell me your parameter is? Thank you very much!

HenningO
05-12-2008, 02:41 AM
Brake pressure is the most important parameter, IMO. The brake lines must withstand this. Some people argue that you also want your brake lines to be stiff to avoid poor pedal feel (because of "big" deformations in the lines during braking).

Obviously you want to consider weight as well.

vandit
05-13-2008, 06:58 AM
hey i dont remember the specific name of the thing , but i am sure it's advisable to use 3mm or 2mm inside diameter lines....if you are using flexible lines then make sure they are teflon inside with metal braiding outside, to make sure that they are stiff and not deflating/inflating everytime you are pressing pedal....

Chris Lane
05-13-2008, 07:47 AM
The braided stainless steel stuff is the go.

Watch how it moves over other components though as I have been told it can saw through other important bits.

Tom_Green
01-18-2009, 01:23 AM
Has any body experiences with alu brake hoses?
Do the they deflect measurably?

Grant Mahler
01-18-2009, 09:21 AM
Uh, if you are referring to solid lines, I would question what occurs when you try to turn. Or your suspension moves. Or your frame twists. Then...you have no brakes.

What am I missing here?

Wesley
01-18-2009, 10:09 AM
There's nothing wrong with using aluminum hard line to run from the master cylinder to the back, for instance, but yeah, you'll need some length of hose from the hard line to the caliper to account for movement.

Tom_Green
01-19-2009, 06:28 AM
Of course, using flex lines is clear. I just want to save weight by using alu hoses instead of steel.
Has anybody had problems with alu brake line fittings through corrosion?

Garlic
05-11-2011, 06:17 AM
Aluminum fatigue life is poor. Vibration failure of a rigidly mounted aluminum brake line on a race car is all but certain. It may not happen in the typical (very short) life of a FSAE car, but I would not recommend it.

Tech Guy
05-11-2011, 02:31 PM
I agree with Garlic. Using aluminum for the rigid (hard) brake lines is not smart due to potential fatigue failures. Neither should you use copper lines for the same reason. As many of the design judges are racers or ex-racers, who would not dream of having aluminum lines on THEIR race cars, it is likely that they would knock you down for it rather than giving you points for saving weight! The weight saving is not worth it, as is drilling out wheel studs! Both are bad ideas.