PDA

View Full Version : Steering Rack

davethemenace
11-06-2011, 11:29 AM
Hi guys,
i have a question regarding the steering racks....i have gone through previous posts and i have noticed that some teams make their own racks in house while others have theirs custom made...i am confused as to which way i should go...do the judges frown down upon the custom racks? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave

davethemenace
11-06-2011, 11:29 AM
Hi guys,
i have a question regarding the steering racks....i have gone through previous posts and i have noticed that some teams make their own racks in house while others have theirs custom made...i am confused as to which way i should go...do the judges frown down upon the custom racks? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave

Dr Tron
11-06-2011, 02:40 PM
Dave, its a matter of ability and availability. For me and my team it was a great way to save some money as well as cut some weight, but it comes with its own complications. as opposed to simply purchasing a system you now have to design build and test a system, although a steering rack is not a complicated unit per say I would only recommend it if you have a dedicated team member and an established team. hopefully this helps you make a decision (a little late to still be wondering however) and if you do decide to make your own let me know and I will help out however I can.

JDS
11-07-2011, 06:46 AM
I don't think the judges look down on teams that purchase a steering rack. If you have the capabilities to design and build your own, that is fine too, but the judges WILL look down on you if you design an inferior one to a purchased one. If you do a good job designing your own it could be a great thing to talk about in design at competition with the judges. Really it is a decision to make based on your teams capabilities and time. There is no right or wrong answer as long as you justify your decision to the judges.

Adambomb
11-07-2011, 03:50 PM
Bottom line IMO, just like any other part on the car, there are good custom-built racks, and there are bad custom built racks, just as there are good bought racks and bad bought racks. Whether you build or buy, you could have a good one or a bad one.

coastertrav
11-07-2011, 05:47 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Adambomb:
Bottom line IMO, just like any other part on the car, there are good custom-built racks, and there are bad custom built racks, just as there are good bought racks and bad bought racks. Whether you build or buy, you could have a good one or a bad one. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Perfect answer to any "Should we design/manufacture X or buy it?" thread.

davethemenace
11-19-2011, 06:48 AM
Thanks a lot guys!!!