PDA

View Full Version : Upper body shell surface area

Yoni P.
10-06-2012, 08:24 AM
Hi,
We are designing our first car, so i wanted to ask you a question:
what is the average of upper body shell, surface area (without the undertray)?

thanks a lot.

Claude Rouelle
10-06-2012, 03:47 PM
1. Why don't you show your own assumption. calculation first?

2. With or without wings? A part of (at least) the front wing can be considered as part of the body...

3. Why do you need this number?

Yoni P.
10-07-2012, 02:56 AM
Hi Claude,
As i wrote in the previews post, this is our first car, right now we are in the beginning of the design process, and have no estimation about the size of the body shell.

1. I did a rough calculation based on the estimated space frame size, taking into account openings in the body shell.

2. Without wings.

3. We are working on our sponsorship packages, therefore in order to know with how much space we can work with, i need to know the total area of the vehicle's body shell. Taking into account area assigned to vehicle competition decals.

Claude Rouelle
10-07-2012, 10:59 AM
1. I did a rough calculation based on the estimated space frame size, taking into account openings in the body shell.

And what number did you come with?

Racer-X
10-07-2012, 01:15 PM
It is going to vary wildly depending on the type of design you go with. Cars with side pods and an engine cover are going to have a lot more surface area than a car with a stubby nose cone and minimalistic bodywork. As a first year team your design is probably going to resemble the second option.

Yoni P.
10-10-2012, 12:03 PM
Claude Rouelle,
I got the point, thank you.