PDA

View Full Version : ESP System

Henrik Andersson
02-03-2005, 02:54 PM
It's stated in the rules that "Brake by wire" isn't allowed. Does this also mean that you cannot have any electronic subsystems which can actuate the brakes independently of the hydraulic brakes ?

/hegge

Henrik Andersson
02-03-2005, 02:54 PM
It's stated in the rules that "Brake by wire" isn't allowed. Does this also mean that you cannot have any electronic subsystems which can actuate the brakes independently of the hydraulic brakes ?

/hegge

Andycostin
02-03-2005, 06:25 PM
It's a safety thing, and not really explained completely, but there is certain room for interpretation. I would advise you to check with an official first, but the easiest explanation is that there still must be a failsafe. Braking can't be disabled completely at any time, by accident or not.

Agent4573
02-03-2005, 07:16 PM
I sent the rules comitte that exact question earlier in the year. There response was that you can never electronically take pressure out of your braking system. I then asked them about running a completely independant subsystem of just electronics, and they approved that, but they made a point to say that the electronic sub system could only take out the pressure that it added to the system.

This may seem simple, but remember that if you are only using one caliper per wheel, you can't have the sub-system relieve pressure at all, because the manual system will lose pressure through the caliper into the sub-system. You could probably get around it with some fancy machine work and one way valves, but its gonna be hard.