PDA

View Full Version : Camshaft / Valvetrain Changes

andrewd
10-24-2004, 04:33 PM
im curious to hear if anyone has changed their camshaft / valvetrain inorder to improve their engines operating efficiencies

have you changed your camshaft? either timing or lift? if so was it bought or designed

also how about valve springs etc

i know there is a big area for improvement on both NA and Forced induction packages and was wondering if anyone has had either the interest or the time to play around with it

cheers guys

andrewd
10-24-2004, 04:33 PM
im curious to hear if anyone has changed their camshaft / valvetrain inorder to improve their engines operating efficiencies

have you changed your camshaft? either timing or lift? if so was it bought or designed

i know there is a big area for improvement on both NA and Forced induction packages and was wondering if anyone has had either the interest or the time to play around with it

cheers guys

woollymoof
10-24-2004, 08:30 PM
We've done duration and lift. Last year was a reduction in duration and increase in lift, doing something similar this year. We designed the basic dimensions, ie lift and duration, on Virtual 4 Stroke.

Haven't touched valve springs, i know an engine builder for superbikes than can get 17,200 RPM out of the stock valve springs with an appropriatly designed cam. You want to be careful reducing duration, esp when increasing lift, because valve acceleration and bounce can become a problem.

andrewd
10-25-2004, 05:11 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dboi666:

cheers guys <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

awesome work quys

im assuming this was on the intake cam right?

and hence in that case you could move the powerband appropriately

but if you change one thing e.g advance closing obviously it will effect the other three strokes!

the question is which is the best compromise hehe

thanks for the post tho http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

woollymoof
10-25-2004, 05:25 PM
It was the intake cam. That's enough work as it is. You can probably find gains in adjusting the exhaust.