PDA

View Full Version : engine vibrations?

blaznasn
05-13-2006, 03:12 AM
I was just wondering if anyone out there has taken data on engine vibrations they would be willing to share?

Like placed an accelerometer somewhere on the engine or on the intake manifold and taken measurements of the acceleration in various directions at various rpms.

Our team is using an f4i engine (but any info on any similar engine is welcome), we plan on taking our own measurements later, but would like to get some kind of general idea of the engine vibration accelerations to do some calculations.

I have searched the forums but haven't been able to find anything.

Thanks for the help!

blaznasn
05-13-2006, 03:12 AM
I was just wondering if anyone out there has taken data on engine vibrations they would be willing to share?

Like placed an accelerometer somewhere on the engine or on the intake manifold and taken measurements of the acceleration in various directions at various rpms.

Our team is using an f4i engine (but any info on any similar engine is welcome), we plan on taking our own measurements later, but would like to get some kind of general idea of the engine vibration accelerations to do some calculations.

I have searched the forums but haven't been able to find anything.

Thanks for the help!

VFR750R
05-13-2006, 10:03 AM
I'm not sure why you need vibration measurement, we've considered it but it's pretty acedemic and does not effect performance. A formula 1 engineer once told me that the vibration limit for their engines was when the drivers vision began to blur....or when the wings broke, cause that's usually pretty bad.

blaznasn
05-13-2006, 12:52 PM
its mainly for some stress calculations i want to do (fatigue). I would probably end up throwing in a big safety factor anyways, but it would be nice to have a base to calculate.

Mark Bacchetti
05-15-2006, 10:40 PM
I would suspect that engine vibration may only cause fatigue failures for small bracketry or electronics mounted on or around the engine (if at all). It's probably not something really to worry about, especially for the amount of time we drive these cars. However, data like is always interesting (in the scientific sense http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif ).