PDA

View Full Version : Software for wing design

vrtra
05-30-2008, 03:22 PM
Hi

Was just wondering does any team use Hanley innovations for their wing design?
If so please give me a feedback on the same.
Is it comparable to Wingeo3 or the variants?

We did use CFD but our wing designing is proving to be a herculean task.

ttk3
05-30-2008, 04:17 PM
Maybe you could use xfoil.
find it here (http://web.mit.edu/drela/Public/web/xfoil/)
It's free and fairly straight forward to use. I would expect you could get some rough designs computed to cross-reference with your actual cfd package.

Chris Lane
05-30-2008, 07:06 PM
We use a combination of Star-CD and ANSYS CFD

Fil
05-31-2008, 02:27 AM
we used to use Java foil, but now we are happy with the wings we have and we just modify the exisiting wings.

We also use gambit and fluent for our cfd, but be careful, there is a quite a substantial difference in CFD to wind tunnel to on-track performance. We just use CFD to compare new designs to the old proven design, its just the first step in determining if they are worth while testing in the tunnel.

I have all the sae papers on our wings if you pm me your email i can forward them onto you. The team also have a spare set of wings (from 02) that we are more than happy to lend to teams. We lent them to WA in 05 and i dont see a problem with lending them again.

Fil

Hi-oct
02-02-2013, 10:10 PM
I am the designer of a new team to participate in fsae. Currently I am working on wing design. You would do me a great favor, sharing those sae papers on wings.
My mail: paulvarghesep142@gmail.com
Also, suggest a good airfoil software package suited to beginners.
Thanks!

SoonerJack
02-03-2013, 12:14 AM
Would you like the new wing design of our 2013 car too?

Hi-oct
02-03-2013, 12:46 AM
Yeah sure, if you dont mind. A practical model to study. Really excting!
Thanks a lot!

Hi-oct
02-03-2013, 12:51 AM
Yeah sure, if you dont mind! It will be a great practical model to learn from. Really exciting!
Thanks a lot.

JulianH
02-03-2013, 02:08 AM
Oh the irony...

I'd suggest to look at Google Scholar. There you can find lots of Papers related to wing design.
I wouldn't focus only on FSAE. A wing is a wing.

Zhang/Zerihan have some nice ground effect studies, of course the Monash papers will help you and I would also recommend a Racecar Aerodynamics book as a starting point.

For 2D Airfoil Design, xFoil or JavaFoil will give you an idea, but in my opinion, the airfoil itself is not that relevant, so if you go for a multi-element design, you need to study the interaction of the elements.

I think the most teams go for a full 3D analysis of the car. There Star-CCM, Autodesk CFD, ComSol or ANSYS CFX should work for you.

But in the end, wing design shouldn't be the first focus for a "new team from India"... but that's just my opinion.

All the best,

Julian

AxelRipper
02-03-2013, 07:06 AM
Real men design their aero using a drafting table...

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01853/adrian_newey_1853606c.jpg

Kirk Feldkamp
02-03-2013, 07:18 AM
Yeah, but what has that guy ever done? http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

haha

Hi-oct
02-03-2013, 12:04 PM
Normally how much downforce should I expect if I use a single element and simple multi element wing setup?
I dont mean the huge ones, but standard and smaller sizes. We cant have large sizes due to the unavailability of a wind tunnel.

JulianH
02-03-2013, 12:13 PM
Well, nobody can tell you that..

What is "big"? What is "small"?

Why does the size of your wing correlate with the wind tunnel?!

I'd say for a "medium size" Aero Package (like GFR 2012) you can achieve Lift Coefficients around 2.5-3.
With single element "small wings" (I don't have an example right now), you'll end up around 1.5-2.

But if you just take wings and put them somewhere on the car, they will hurt you more than they will help.

Wings don't make your car fast per se. They are a trade-off, they can help you, but they can also hurt you.

I saw a lot of Aero elements on Supra SAE cars and the most of them probably slowed the cars down...