PDA

View Full Version : non wishbone suspension at Fstudent and FSAE 04

clausen
07-17-2004, 03:14 AM
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone had any non wishbone suspension systems at this years events? I have seen a sliding pillar suspension on a yellow car (concordia?). Was there any others? Pics or Links?

Are there any concordia guys on the forum? I'm interested in the decision making process and how they justified the decision.

clausen
07-17-2004, 03:14 AM
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone had any non wishbone suspension systems at this years events? I have seen a sliding pillar suspension on a yellow car (concordia?). Was there any others? Pics or Links?

Are there any concordia guys on the forum? I'm interested in the decision making process and how they justified the decision.

Denny Trimble
07-17-2004, 08:29 AM
Lehigh had a solid rear axle mounted to a swingarm. Brown has done de-dion axles forever, but I didn't see their car this year to check if they were still doing it.

Ashley Denmead
07-17-2004, 06:24 PM
g'day paul,

we did a fair amount of research late last year and early this year into various suspension systems. we thought seriously about moving away from double a-arms.....within a month or so of research we soon discovered that the system with the least amount of compromises is of course a double a-arm setup. I'm sure you've done the same and have come up with a very similar list of pro's and con's for the various designs. A car with for instance a swing arm rear end may infact be faster (???) than an a-arm rear.....BUT there are many design disadvantages including no dynamic camber control, the whole rear assemble being unsprung mass etc

anyway....i'm sure u guys can come up with a killer car.....just remember that in most cases the option with the least amount of compromise is usually the best http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif i guess it just depends on your priorities!

look forward to seeing what you come up with in werribee!

ash

clausen
08-01-2004, 12:59 AM
bump

Ashley Denmead
08-01-2004, 04:14 AM
ouch

Angry Joe
08-02-2004, 06:03 AM
Designing a solid axle is not as simple as it seems to be... but it is much cheaper!