PDA

View Full Version : mpfi engines

blitzkrieg
02-09-2005, 10:11 PM
hi
we're a first year team. still unable to decide between mpfi and carb enines. i need to know the pros and cons of both

blitzkrieg
02-09-2005, 10:11 PM
hi
we're a first year team. still unable to decide between mpfi and carb enines. i need to know the pros and cons of both

Jay Fleming
02-09-2005, 10:22 PM
MPFI

Pros: throttle response, better fuel economy, more reliable, more tuneable

Cons: more cost, more tuning work, more work to diagnose

Carb:

Pros: Cheap, simple, easier to diagnose if there's a problem

Cons: less reliable, more throttle lag

There may be more for each and my thinking may be wrong on all, but this should be a decent start

Denny Trimble
02-09-2005, 10:32 PM
Has anyone heard of a carbureted team finishing endurance in recent history? I haven't seen any personally. I hear hot starting after the driver change is a problem.

Jonathan D
02-09-2005, 11:18 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by blitzkrieg:
hi
we're a first year team. still unable to decide between mpfi and carb enines. i need to know the pros and cons of both <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you're running a motorcycle engine, you're really not saving yourself any headaches by running the carbs. FSAE rules mandate a restrictor after the throttle body. Since most carb'ed motor cycle engines use multiple carb/throttle bodies, hooking up a restrictor aft of the carb isn't feasible. At that point, you might as well just run a fuel injection system. Of course a 3rd option would be to take a motor, and run a single carb hooked up to a custom manifold. But again, you're really not saving yourself any headaches with this setup.

I mention this only because motorcycle engines are fairly popular among FSAE. Although there are a ton of other options out there.