PDA

View Full Version : Main Hoop Bracing Triangulation

Srikanth
02-16-2012, 10:27 AM
http://i42.tinypic.com/s2d0d0.png

B3.12 Main Hoop Bracing
B3.12.6 The attachment of the Main Hoop braces must be capable of transmitting all loads from the Main Hoop into the Major Structure of the Frame without failing. From the lower end of the braces there must be a properly triangulated structure back to the lowest part of the Main Hoop and the node at which the upper side impact tube meets the Main Hoop.

Does the above shown frame meet the bracing rule? I wasn't too sure whether the triangulation is right so kindly advise me on this.

Srikanth
02-16-2012, 10:27 AM
http://i42.tinypic.com/s2d0d0.png

B3.12 Main Hoop Bracing
B3.12.6 The attachment of the Main Hoop braces must be capable of transmitting all loads from the Main Hoop into the Major Structure of the Frame without failing. From the lower end of the braces there must be a properly triangulated structure back to the lowest part of the Main Hoop and the node at which the upper side impact tube meets the Main Hoop.

Does the above shown frame meet the bracing rule? I wasn't too sure whether the triangulation is right so kindly advise me on this.

coastertrav
02-16-2012, 12:45 PM
Depends on how many of those tubes are at least 0.049" wall.

Theoretically, yes, it could satisfy the rule.

Srikanth
02-16-2012, 08:10 PM
Well, all the tubes will be of 0.095" thickness. I was basically only worried about the triangulation of the hoop bracing back to the lower side impact member, which you say is correct.

Thanks.

shark.ashwa
02-16-2012, 10:04 PM
There seems to be some sort of problem.... http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif
I'm not able to see the pic.....It would be cool if you could just mail me the pic....
Why 0.095"?? http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Sharath

coastertrav
02-17-2012, 07:01 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Srikanth:
Well, all the tubes will be of 0.095" thickness. I was basically only worried about the triangulation of the hoop bracing back to the lower side impact member, which you say is correct.

Thanks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The triangulation is proper, but your frame is going to end up well over 100lbs it it's all 0.095". By comparison our frame is right at 55 lbs completely welded with all tabs. Please, PLEASE, don't make it all 0.095".

Srikanth
02-17-2012, 08:21 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by coastertrav:

The triangulation is proper, but your frame is going to end up well over 100lbs it it's all 0.095". By comparison our frame is right at 55 lbs completely welded with all tabs. Please, PLEASE, don't make it all 0.095". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, I know. But you see, we are short on time and the place from where we are buying the tubes has only one size! They are not manufacturers, just the dealers! Maybe I'll do all the weight reduction in the next car...

shark.ashwa
02-18-2012, 02:03 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Srikanth:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by coastertrav:

The triangulation is proper, but your frame is going to end up well over 100lbs it it's all 0.095". By comparison our frame is right at 55 lbs completely welded with all tabs. Please, PLEASE, don't make it all 0.095". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, I know. But you see, we are short on time and the place from where we are buying the tubes has only one size! They are not manufacturers, just the dealers! Maybe I'll do all the weight reduction in the next car... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dude,

Where are you from? I can find a dozen dealers on the internet who are willing to ship to your college if you order a substantial amount. I'm guessing thats not a problem coz you have multiple teams!
Please don't say you'll do it on your next car....that's just copping out!

Sharath