PDA

View Full Version : rack location when running 10's with pushrods

RikyTheRipster
04-18-2005, 11:36 AM
Just wondering where people who are running 10's have mounted their steering rack? front-lower, front-upper, rear-lower, rear-upper? We found that the ideal location was comprimised by packaging, what does everyone else think? AT the moment we are having to go with rear-lower which will prob mean we cant run the column direct. F*ckin sucks.

cheers guys.

RikyTheRipster
04-18-2005, 11:36 AM
Just wondering where people who are running 10's have mounted their steering rack? front-lower, front-upper, rear-lower, rear-upper? We found that the ideal location was comprimised by packaging, what does everyone else think? AT the moment we are having to go with rear-lower which will prob mean we cant run the column direct. F*ckin sucks.

cheers guys.

Denny Trimble
04-18-2005, 12:03 PM
I haven't seen any cars with 10's and steering columns without u-joints. But, I haven't looked that hard.

Rear lower has the advantage of better tierod clearance with the wheel, if you're using ackerman geometry.

RikyTheRipster
04-18-2005, 12:21 PM
Denny,

Its definately a pain and i just hope the savings in weight will prove their worth. We almost got it in fron upper but there was too much variation in leg size so it would smack the taller guys shins. front- lower was under the achilees so was also tricky. We will be running ackerman so clearance,like you said would be a benefit. Am just trying to find a rack thats 360mm long (inner tie to inner tie) with loads of travel so I can get steering arms as long as possible fitted. Also what do you think of apex joints? Have heard they are better than using a double uv.Finally were trying to design in adjustable ackerman so i take it the only way to do this would be to have multiple tie rod locations on the steering arm?
Thanks for all the help!

Foote
04-18-2005, 12:33 PM
We're running s similar setup as you, i think. Our's is mounted front lower, but just under our ankles as well. I am kind of nervous about someone standing on while trying to get out of the car in 5 seconds. It's probably something you've thought of, but something to protect the rack would be a good idea.

jack
04-18-2005, 12:39 PM
right now we are building WWU's first car without a front-upper steering rack. all previous cars had 10" wheels and no u-joint either. the packaging was tight, but doable. this year the rack is in the old "bump steer spot" this was mainly done to package everyhting, but mostly due to the raised nose due to the longer lower front a-arms. i looked at putting the rack in the rear-lower area, but on our car it would of needed 2 u-joints. also, it would raise the lower a-arm pick-up at the wheel, which i think is important to keep as low as possible so it can handle the lateral force better.

this would be so much easier with 13's"...

jack
04-18-2005, 12:40 PM
wow, justin beat me to it. thats what i get for sleeping in the library all morning instead of going to the shop...

RikyTheRipster
04-18-2005, 03:07 PM
Any chance you guys who are managing to run a rack without uv's on 10's could send me a CAD drawing or something so I could take a look?
en2mh@bath.ac.uk
Thanks

jack
04-18-2005, 04:34 PM
Viking 30
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/phatcat0227/V30Front.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/phatcat0227/V30Inside.jpg

Viking 35 http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/phatcat0227/V35Front.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/phatcat0227/V35Inside.jpg

jonny8
04-18-2005, 05:05 PM
Thanks Jack!

rjwoods77
04-18-2005, 05:08 PM
Doing 10 " rims, lower rear rack mount, pullrods, and inboard brakes. Talk about packaging. I think it is worth it to loose the weight and rotating mass over a 13" wheel setup anyday of the week, All depends on supension geometry you want though.

Ché
04-18-2005, 05:24 PM
the brakes are inverted or inside-out, and not inboard on the front of V35 and V30

Foote
04-18-2005, 06:35 PM
Rob woods, did you just say that you're running inboard brakes on the front of your car?
I'd really like to see how you're doing this, and, if you don't mind my asking, why? It seems like a few extra components and rotating mass.
Just curious

romkasponka
04-19-2005, 09:14 AM
Maybe he use front diferential?

rjwoods77
04-19-2005, 09:48 AM
By inboard I mean between the a-arms on the backside of the upright. The other side they are normally on.

HondaFan
05-09-2009, 12:58 AM
By inboard I mean between the a-arms on the backside of the upright. The other side they are normally on.

-------------------------------------

We plan to use that kind of set up. Do you have pictures?

Abhinav Gaikwad
Team MHSSC Racing