PDA

View Full Version : FSAE at Michigan International Speedway

FryGuy
08-30-2007, 08:19 PM
Does anyone know where we are actually going to be running on at MIS? Is it going to be on the infield, parking lot, etc. ? Ive seen some pictures but i still can't really tell. Google earth doesn't really show much either.

Anyone ever been there and can comment on facilities, pavement condition etc.

FryGuy
08-30-2007, 08:19 PM
Does anyone know where we are actually going to be running on at MIS? Is it going to be on the infield, parking lot, etc. ? Ive seen some pictures but i still can't really tell. Google earth doesn't really show much either.

Anyone ever been there and can comment on facilities, pavement condition etc.

John Grego
08-31-2007, 02:13 PM
MIS is a sister track to CMS so I would think it would be the same as Califonia. Parking on the infield lot, using the garages for tech and static events, and using the infield road coarse for dynamic events.

Biggy72
08-31-2007, 03:53 PM
I thought the same thing until I looked at an overhead map and I don't know if you can consider MIS's infield a road course. So I'm not sure how well it would work. The big track is identical though.

John Grego
08-31-2007, 04:01 PM
Sure doesn-t look like much room for autox or enduro. I guess they don-t have to run it inside the track. One thing large tracks have is lots of parking outside.

FryGuy
08-31-2007, 04:18 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Biggy72:
I thought the same thing until I looked at an overhead map and I don't know if you can consider MIS's infield a road course. So I'm not sure how well it would work. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, thats exactly what i noticed. It doesn't look like there is much of a road course at least from what you can see in the map, looks like mostly just rv parking.

If we are on the parking lot, then i don't think we can necessarily assume it to be as smooth and flat as the ford proving grounds. In addition i don't think we can really expect the wide open auto-x course either, unless im missing something.

John Grego
10-03-2007, 09:47 AM
Has any one done more research on this?

Pete M
10-03-2007, 10:32 AM
Decent sat photo (http://www.terraserver.com/view.asp?cx=728240.308573208&cy=4660965.1771172&proj=32616&mpp=5&pic=-1&prov=-1&stac=-1). Compare with the California Speedway (http://www.terraserver.com/view.asp?cx=453845.397751349&cy=3772106.13318602&proj=32611&mpp=5&pic=-1&prov=-1&stac=-1).

What do people think? Is that even asphalt? A parking lot wouldn't be terrible, but you can't beat the atmosphere of an infield track. West was awesome. Although the drone of nascars cruising around you when you're trying to work on your car is kinda annoying. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Maverik
10-03-2007, 06:38 PM
Anyone else miss the good ole' days of pontiac?

jm1495
10-03-2007, 06:50 PM
Which part? The parking lot that had more elevation change than the F1 track at Indy? Or the sewer drains?

Hmm nice infield road course, big infield parking lot, F1 paddocks being unused, world's most famous oval... what about Indy?

flavorPacket
10-03-2007, 07:59 PM
Indy's not in SE Michigan, too far for all the production judges to drive...

Erich Ohlde
10-03-2007, 08:40 PM
I have talked to several people about detroit, apparently the infield roadcourse is a mess and the space is going to be extremely tight.

Conor
10-05-2007, 06:56 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jayhawk_electrical:
I have talked to several people about detroit, apparently the infield roadcourse is a mess and the space is going to be extremely tight. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Detroit or MIS? I guess we probably have the best advantage of any team, one of our guys used to work summers at MIS because it's right near where he grew up....

Erich Ohlde
10-05-2007, 08:04 AM
sorry, MIS. From everything I've heard, there isn't going to be enough space for everyone and there isn't enough space to do the road course.

Michael Royce
10-06-2007, 01:19 PM
Just to set everyone's mind at ease.

The exact layouts for the dynamic events of the 2008 FSAE competition at MIS have not been established. However they will all located on the blacktop of the back straight run-off area between Turns 2 and 3 and portions of the back straight. None of the dynamic events will be held within the infield itself.

drivetrainUW-Platt
10-06-2007, 01:58 PM
Is this pristine pavement or do we need to design our cars for Silverstone pot holes and cracks?

flavorPacket
10-06-2007, 07:34 PM
good joke, Mike. Silverstone has the BEST surface we have ever driven on. I think you meant silverdome...

drivetrainUW-Platt
10-07-2007, 06:49 AM
I did mean Silverdome...everyone talkes about Silverstone on here now so I got skrewed up.

John Grego
03-19-2008, 04:00 PM
Wanted to give this thread a bump. Any news on track surface?

exFSAE
03-19-2008, 05:01 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Maverik:
Anyone else miss the good ole' days of pontiac? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The late night paddock crew.. watchin other teams cutting and welding chassis bits through the night.. EVERYONE having a spot on asphalt.. proximity to hotels (and that Arby's.. and there was a liquor store not too far off either).. Big Beaver road.. BIG BUCK.. going to Windsor..

Yep. Them were the days. Drove past all that the other week for work. Brought back some memories.

RiNaZ
03-20-2008, 12:08 AM
every year, i would get lost in detroit on the way to Auburn Hills. It was early 2000 so i dont think most rental vehicle were equipped with GPS. And since i wasnt participating till 2005 ... it was scary having to be lost in detroit all by yourself. The road leading to it ... was just beyond words ... ive never seen so many potholes and ive been to rural areas in southeast asia!

Yes, i do miss the good ol' days. It's more loose and more accessible. I dont drink so BIG BUCK isnt much of a memory to me, but im sure it is to a lot of you.

Ive been to a couple of speedways, and i dont think they provide the same atmosphere than what an open parking area would. Come to think of it ... i think they should have the competition at a university area like baja.

exFSAE
03-20-2008, 05:53 AM
At a university area?

I've wanted to make a video of a FSAE car ripping through campus at dawn. I had a pretty good course plotted through ours.. just never got to it.