PDA

View Full Version : Larger dia front tires

Vignesh Billan
06-23-2013, 11:01 AM
is there any problem occurs if i use larger dia front tires than the rear tire for RVD?

MCoach
06-23-2013, 05:00 PM
First you must ask yourself,

What is the theory behind this?

then,

why do I need larger front tires?
why could this be a good idea?

Then,

Why should I not do this?
Why could this be a bad idea?

Then,

What are the alternative solutions that may exist?

EDIT: just a few words, was running out to dinner and didn't realize it sent. :P

PatClarke
06-23-2013, 07:55 PM
Vignesh,
There is nothing to stop you using larger front tyres.....But remember this!
Larger tyres will mean the car will always be going uphill! This will slow you down, use more fuel and possibly cause the engine to overheat.

A better idea is to put the big wheels on the back, and when the car breaks, as it assuredly will, then you can roll downhill all the way to the finish line (and getting great fuel economy)!

Pat

MegaDeath
06-23-2013, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by PatClarke:
Vignesh,
There is nothing to stop you using larger front tyres.....But remember this!
Larger tyres will mean the car will always be going uphill! This will slow you down, use more fuel and possibly cause the engine to overheat.

A better idea is to put the big wheels on the back, and when the car breaks, as it assuredly will, then you can roll downhill all the way to the finish line (and getting great fuel economy)!

Pat

But Pat, wouldn't it only be going uphill if the vehicle in question was in Austrauila?? Anywhere else, wouldn't it be going downhill? That is as long as Jupiter is on the opposite side of the Sun as Mercury is. If not, all bets are off.

dmacke
06-23-2013, 09:25 PM
Is this why the cars in NASCAR have bigger tires on the right side of the car? The car will go faster when turning left which is all that is required for NASCAR?

murpia
06-24-2013, 05:34 AM
I would do the opposite, larger diameter rear tyres. For a given distance driven by the car, the fronts will do more revolutions. This will help warmup.

Regards, Ian

BillCobb
06-24-2013, 05:49 AM
One problem you will need to undress is that you now need two spare tires, one for each size.

If you make use of 4 different sized tires, it will be easier to borrow a spare from another team.

PatClarke
06-24-2013, 07:00 AM
Bill,

I would rather you hadn't let that secret out!
How else are the Aussies going to trash all visitors when they now know our secrets? http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

And, Dmacke...You got it! Messes them up on road courses though.

PC

AxelRipper
06-25-2013, 04:51 AM
Who needs swagger, when you got stagger?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/63/Sprint_Car_Stagger_Plymouth_Dirt_Track_Wisconsin.j pg

Zac
06-25-2013, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by BillCobb:
One problem you will need to undress is that you now need two spare tires, one for each size.

If you make use of 4 different sized tires, it will be easier to borrow a spare from another team.

bonus points if you spec the tires as asymmetric and directional.