PDA

View Full Version : Help with R6 & Autronic ECU

Joel
06-23-2004, 02:51 PM
Down here we are setting up a 2002 R6 with an autronic ECU.

I have two questions,
1.Cam angle sensing, what do you ppl use on these engines? a reluctance pickup, hall effect ect?

2. Ignition systems, i have read that others are using the stock CDI unit. Is it interfaced to the ECU, or running the stock advance curve? Also on the point of standard inductive coil ignition systems, is there enough dwell time at 15k rpm for a twin coil, wasted spark type system? and, lastly, where does the dwell come from? a dwell module? our ECU doesnt have a dwell function...

Any light you guys could shed on our situation would be mint.

Cheers, Joel.

B Lewis @ PE Engine Management
06-23-2004, 05:43 PM
Hi Joel.... Maybe I can help.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
1.Cam angle sensing, what do you ppl use on these engines? a reluctance pickup, hall effect ect?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Most of these stock sensors are reluctance (2 wire), although you could use either. It really depends on what the Autronic wants to see. If it needs a square wave, you can build a very effective converter using an LM1815 IC.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
2. Ignition systems, i have read that others are using the stock CDI unit. Is it interfaced to the ECU, or running the stock advance curve? Also on the point of standard inductive coil ignition systems, is there enough dwell time at 15k rpm for a twin coil, wasted spark type system? and, lastly, where does the dwell come from? a dwell module? our ECU doesnt have a dwell function...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can help with your second question. Yes, there enough time for charging the coil to properly fire at 15k with stock Denso inductive coils. We had a couple of teams using this setup with the R6 in years past and it seems to work well with our internal igniters. Most of the time the ECU will provide the dwell. If not, there are several Bosch ignitors that can provide active control of the dwell.

Hope that helps! You can contact me offline if you would like.

MoTeC
07-01-2004, 11:56 PM
Hi Joel,
Just check with you Autronic dealer as I am sure the Autronics only use hall sensors, you need a converter to change a magnetic into hall if thats what you have.

Also (check again) an Autronic uses a Bosch 008 module which has an inbuilt dwell curve.

I could be wrong, I have not used one for quite a while now.

Jarrod
07-02-2004, 05:42 AM
we run an SM2 autronic on a CBR F3, using a GT101 hall effect for the cam sensor, have used a magnetic sensor in the past, needs the reluctor interface, mystery black box thingy that none of us really understood, and always gave us grief. Figured it out now though. we run the old CBR twin end coils, wasted spark, and have run up to 13k without drama. Mark is right on the bosch ignition module. We write our own ignition maps in the ECU. As an aside, after 4 years of the autronic, we have a shiny new gold box being prepared for our new car that reads M400 or something similar......

Joel
07-06-2004, 03:27 PM
You guys dropped the autronic this year? any particular reason?

We have stayed with the reluctance sensors, and i built the black box thingy, seems to work ok on the stock crank angle sensor, but not too well on my botched-up cam angle sensor, i think its too far away from the pickup on the sprocket.

we have a cdi from M&W also.

Thanks for the help guys, should be running real soon.

Jarrod
07-07-2004, 05:04 AM
i've used motec haltech and autronic systems, and there was no doubt in my mind which one to buy when looking for a new one.
email me if you want more details