PDA

View Full Version : rookie exhaust system

baggy
11-26-2007, 06:48 AM
Hi all im hoping some people on this site mite be able to help me out. I'm at LJMU in Liverpool and we are for the first time trying to enter the FS competition

I have been tasked with the exhaust design and was hoping some of you how may have done this before might be able to give me some advise and tips to help me out. The only problem i have is that the only testing i can do is through computer analysis

any help would be appreciated

baggy
11-26-2007, 06:48 AM
Hi all im hoping some people on this site mite be able to help me out. I'm at LJMU in Liverpool and we are for the first time trying to enter the FS competition

I have been tasked with the exhaust design and was hoping some of you how may have done this before might be able to give me some advise and tips to help me out. The only problem i have is that the only testing i can do is through computer analysis

any help would be appreciated

Maverik
11-26-2007, 10:38 AM
Exhaust is critical in the whole of powertrain in my opinion. You should work closely with whoever is doing the intake and establish your engine performance goals, then establish lengths and scheme (ie 4-1, 4-2-1, etc..) based on theory since you don't have an empirical dataset yet, and draw something up to satisfy the criteria then make it. That being said, as a first year team, you guys should focus on completing a car, let alone the extreme fine tuning of intake/exhaust lengths. Even if it means your engine performance isn't ideal. I would also suggest starting with mild steel, stainless is a pain for someone brand new to welding.

Aaron Heisler
11-26-2007, 01:08 PM
We were a first year team last year and my advice would be to design/build the rest of the car and when you get close to running it look what space you have left and build custom headers (4-2-1) in the available space. There is an advantage to designing the exhaust but my experience is that you can only design the vital parts in the first year. We had 3 used headers from an R6 that we cut and welded to our needs.

***Exhaust length is very important in the maximum allowed sound depending on your choice of mufflers...

samphlett
11-27-2007, 02:32 AM
LJMU has Ricardo WAVE for FSAE. Why not use that?

baggy
11-27-2007, 02:54 AM
thanks guys. for the tips

Samphlett i am also currently learning how to use Wave

Tintin
11-27-2007, 04:09 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Aaron Heisler:
.... my advice would be to design/build the rest of the car and when you get close to running it look what space you have left and build custom headers (4-2-1) in the available space. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The only team I know of who did this approach ended up in cutting their frame apart and adding space for the exhaust because the alternative would have been to surgically modifiy the driver.... http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Tim