PDA

View Full Version : Thread sealers

rwolcott23
03-19-2005, 11:50 PM
I'm having trouble sealing some internal plumbing passages on new brake calipers. The passage is too large in diameter and there is not enough of a shoulder for the set screws to seat correctly. Is there a good thread sealer that will work in this case?

Thanks,
Bob

rwolcott23
03-19-2005, 11:50 PM
I'm having trouble sealing some internal plumbing passages on new brake calipers. The passage is too large in diameter and there is not enough of a shoulder for the set screws to seat correctly. Is there a good thread sealer that will work in this case?

Thanks,
Bob

Buckingham
03-20-2005, 12:59 AM
If the caliper was made incorrectly I suggest sending it back. If not, you probably just need to find the right fitting. Unfortunately, since brake fluid is more corrosive than gasoline, and operating pressures can reach over 1000, you won't find much luck trying to patch incorrect fasteners with a sealant.

rwolcott23
03-20-2005, 08:36 AM
We made these calipers and I really don't want to start over. It is a pretty minor detail and we could re-machine that area to accept a bigger set screw but I was hoping for an easier solution. The second picture inn this list shows the passage in question.

http://oregonstate.edu/~wolcottr/brake%20caliper/Pictures/

Thanks,
Bob

Kirk Feldkamp
03-20-2005, 09:52 AM
Is that hole intended for the same bleeder as the one right below it? If the bleeder seals, then just take another bleeder, weld up the end, crank it into the hole, and go drive! Hope that might help.

-Kirk

rwolcott23
03-20-2005, 12:27 PM
No, it is an internal plumbing passage that is to be plugged with a coned 10-32 set screw. My goal was to leave enough of a shoulder when drilling the plumbing hole that the set screw would seat and seal it.

Bob

Dan B
03-21-2005, 06:47 PM
I'd use a regular screw with a crush washer insted of a setscrew. If you don't want to go that route I would just use red lock-tite (good luck getting that set screw out of you do).

Christopher Chow
03-21-2005, 07:59 PM
LocTite makes a line of Thread Sealants that really work, try one that fits your needs, the only thing to worry about is temp rating...

Wizard
03-22-2005, 04:30 PM
Bob,

You want Loctite 545. Here is the tech info.
Loctite 545 PDF (http://tds.loctite.com/tds5/docs/545-EN.PDF)

A couple tricks to improve/increase your sealing.
1. Make sure the drill you are using to drill the shoulder is the correct angle and the tip is ground correctly.

2. Clean the set screws with paint thinner, etc.

3. Make sure your set screws are free of large burrs, etc.

I have done something similar in a commercial application and done correctly the seal will hold over 1000 psi. (1/4-28 set screw)

rwolcott23
03-22-2005, 08:29 PM
Thanks for all of the replies, I appreciate the input. I solved the problem by buying some 5/32" ball bearings ind inserting them ahead of the set screws. This seems to have eliminated the leaks.

Thanks,
Bob