PDA

View Full Version : 4-piston calipers

mrrankin
09-01-2005, 03:36 PM
To those of you that are using 4-piston calipers, what brand are you using and how do you like them. I have looked at AP Racing CP4488, but they are very expensive, but very good. What other options are there? Thanks.

Schulberg J
09-01-2005, 04:27 PM
Take a look at the Wilwood GP320 caliper. We were quoted around $250 a caliper from BRITS in Sonoma, CA. This will be our first year using them. We are using them because they are quite compact and one of the few calipers we could find which will fit in a 10" wheel.

Bubba
09-02-2005, 11:56 AM
We used the Wilwood GP320 Calipers on our fronts for our 2005 car. They were a little pricey compared to any of the 2 piston calipers out there but performed quite well. I believe they weigh about 1.6lbs with new pads. At the competition, I walked around and found only one other team using these calipers. One problem with them, it is damn easy to strip the aluminum housing with the bleed valve - and once this is done, they are difficult to fix because there is no much aluminum to work with around the bleed valve.

GTmule
09-02-2005, 01:36 PM
Has anyone used the 4 pot, radial mount calipers that are on the newer sportbikes. The R1's have monoblock calipers, to boot. We'd been planning on these, is there any reason NOT to use them?

BeaverGuy
09-02-2005, 02:17 PM
This past year we designed a caliper that was a copy of the R1 caliper using all of the R1 internals. The only reason we didn't use the R1 caliper was lack of communication regarding packaging. This year we will probably consider using the R1 caliper as we aren't going to be making our own again.

TG
09-02-2005, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by mrrankin:
To those of you that are using 4-piston calipers, what brand are you using and how do you like them. I have looked at AP Racing CP4488, but they are very expensive, but very good. What other options are there? Thanks.

The AP Racing CP4488 calipers are $1460 (http://www.gptechllc.com/products_brake_components.htm) each retail, so the cost/benefit ratio really does not make sense for SAE. You'd have to go with the ~$600 calipers from AP racing if you were going to use them. They weight as much as the wilwood dynalites and have around the same piston area, but with four sequentially sized pistons you get better brake feel, modulation, pressure distribution over the pad, and pad wear. Still they are very expensive compared to other options available out there.

Schulberg J
09-02-2005, 03:16 PM
We looked into using 4-piston radial mount calipers off of a gxr this year. We got a set off ebay and they ended up being way to large. No way they would elegantly fit inside a 10 inch wheel, or at least not the way we wanted to package them. If you were using a 13" wheel they may be packageable. Definatly a chunky caliper but they were cheap. We got 2 front calipers and a rear off ebay for about $60 shipped if I remember correctly.

Homemade WRX
09-03-2005, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Schulberg J:
We looked into using 4-piston radial mount calipers off of a gxr this year. We got a set off ebay and they ended up being way to large. No way they would elegantly fit inside a 10 inch wheel, or at least not the way we wanted to package them. If you were using a 13" wheel they may be packageable. Definatly a chunky caliper but they were cheap. We got 2 front calipers and a rear off ebay for about $60 shipped if I remember correctly.
I had looked into them as well and decided that even if they were't so large I would have to redesign/machine half of the caliper