PDA

View Full Version : bushings in pedal pivots and brake pedal quary

satbat7
01-31-2007, 09:14 AM
what kind (material) of bushings can be used in pedal pivots ? i was just wondering if bearings(like needle roller bearings) will give a good motion ?
Are retracting springs needed in the brake pedal or they just fall back fine and fast after release of the pedal ?

We are a first time team.

satbat7
01-31-2007, 09:14 AM
what kind (material) of bushings can be used in pedal pivots ? i was just wondering if bearings(like needle roller bearings) will give a good motion ?
Are retracting springs needed in the brake pedal or they just fall back fine and fast after release of the pedal ?

We are a first time team.

Brian Evans
02-01-2007, 06:14 AM
Most pedals are fine with nylon or bronze bushes. Most do not require return springs.

Brian

Ianthegypo
02-05-2007, 09:25 AM
The pressure in the brake system should provide ample return for the brake pedal.

mtg
02-05-2007, 02:46 PM
I've always been an advocate of using bearings on pedals- not bushings. For a very small weight and cost penalty you can make a noticeable improvement in driver feel and an overall sense of refinement.

Using bearings in the shifter also can make a pretty significant improvement in shift feel.

markocosic
02-09-2007, 12:12 PM
Why having any relative motion - spring-steel flexures work a treat on throttle pedals: 'mounting', 'return-spring' and 'degree of freedom' all in one! http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Brian Perry
02-09-2007, 02:05 PM
markocosic, you must enjoy doing fatigue calcs in your spare time.

Bill Kunst
02-09-2007, 04:34 PM
Can someone help? Isn't query a question, and quary (or quarry) a place to get rocks? Wasn't sure,
Bill

GSpeedR
02-10-2007, 03:36 PM
Hey Bill, can you help me find a definition of "pretentious"? Oh wait, got it, nevermind.