PDA

View Full Version : Suspension pickup jigs

Psychosis
11-09-2005, 12:06 AM
hey hey!
just really looking for a little help, we've started chassis construction, but im struggling to think of an exact way to position the pickups on our steel spaceframe. what sort of jigs do everyone else come up with? bearing in mind we can't mill any part of the jig, its a hacksaw, file and drill effort. pictures would be great!
cheers and thanks

Psychosis
11-09-2005, 12:06 AM
hey hey!
just really looking for a little help, we've started chassis construction, but im struggling to think of an exact way to position the pickups on our steel spaceframe. what sort of jigs do everyone else come up with? bearing in mind we can't mill any part of the jig, its a hacksaw, file and drill effort. pictures would be great!
cheers and thanks

RacingManiac
11-10-2005, 07:20 AM
Our chassis jigs are made to start from the suspension pickup, then the chassis are built around those fixed points...

website have past year's pic.

Frank
11-10-2005, 07:32 AM
ditto, the only way to do it

Psychosis
11-11-2005, 12:23 AM
thanks for the reply guys, i had a look at the pictures, but they don't really show how you ensure the top front a-arms are exactly the right distance and height away from your central axis.

on another note, one picture shows you bonding CF to your chassis, how did that work out? what method did you use? we've been toying with the idea this year, but arent quite sure how to bond the CF to the steel chassis rails.

cheers and thanks again
Michael

RacingManiac
11-11-2005, 07:30 AM
As I am not a composite guy I can't tell you the detail, but I know we use some aerospace epoxy to do the job and it has worked for us since 2002.

The pic don't show the process how we built the jig. We have the base frame that's the bottom of the jig. Then we make jig tables which are essentially plates with points at the "axis" of the A arms(done on a mill, think of it as locating the a-arm pivot location on the lateral axis of the car ), each axle has 2 plates which are then linked with 4 members(one for each a-arm. Each member have points that locates the a-arm pickup point in the logitudinal axis of the car. Then these table are jigged relative to each other on the bottom frame of the jig in accordance to the wheel base and what not, lined up with fishing lines and home depot grade laser thingy. Then based on those table the actual jigs are built at the point locations. Then the steps in the pics takes place.

Psychosis
11-11-2005, 10:06 AM
thanks for your help, its a bit better than what i was thinking of doing, ill see how i get on,
cheers