PDA

View Full Version : Sourcing CV Joints

edin351
10-06-2012, 09:33 PM
Hey all,

I was hoping you could help me out. I want to mate a CV joint/shaft to this planetary gearset: http://products.matexgears.com...1-478-in--lbs-/4mhn? (http://products.matexgears.com/item/all-categories/planetary-gears-torque-range-301-11-478-in--lbs-/4mhn?)

output is a 16tooth spline. It also looks like there's a 6 bolt circle on the face of it...maybe the CV can be mounted to that? anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

Paul Achard
10-08-2012, 05:03 PM
I really doubt you'll find any off-the-shelf CV components that will mate to that part. Personally, I would make a stub-shaft that connects that spline to the male or female part of your CV joint. Any machine shop that makes gears should be able to spline it for you given that you have the spline dimensions.

Kirk Feldkamp
10-08-2012, 05:18 PM
I'm more curious what you're planning to do with the planetary. F1 transmissions mount the diff inside an epicyclic gearset, but I think that's mostly because they're compact and they need one heck of a total reduction to get back down from 18,000 RPM to wheel RPM's. Motorcycle transmissions always have multiple reductions (crank to clutch basket, transmission main shaft to countershaft, and countershaft sprocket to rear sprocket). Are you doing your own transaxle or a diff driven directly off the countershaft or something? Either way, there are usually easier/cheaper ways to get the total reduction you want. That said, the planetary-CV approach might net you better inertia because that reduction might be spinning slower. It all depends on what you're doing with it.

-Kirk

edin351
10-08-2012, 06:05 PM
Thanks for your responses. I guess I didn't do enough homework before posting because yeah...i think we'll have to modify those planetary to mate to a bolt-on CV or something.

As for what we're using it for...well I'm actually working on an all electric car for the Formula Hybrid (electric) division of SAE. We're going to have four motors with individual torque control and we want the planets for gear reduction that will bolt right on to the motor.