PDA

View Full Version : Formula Student Germany 2006 Competition: -Updates, Pictures, Stories and More

Frank "Ruska" Roeske
07-27-2006, 01:26 AM
Hey Everybody,

just a few days to go and Formula Student Germany will start. As orgnizers we prepare a new service for the teams and people how can´t make it to Germany. On Saterday and Sunday we will offer a Live Video Stream service, provided by Siemens VDO. Check out our website for more details.
details (http://www.formulastudent.de/public-relations/news/news-details/article/live-videostream-from-the-dynamic-events-powered-by-siemens/)

Frank "Ruska" Roeske
07-27-2006, 01:26 AM
Hey Everybody,

just a few days to go and Formula Student Germany will start. As orgnizers we prepare a new service for the teams and people how can´t make it to Germany. On Saterday and Sunday we will offer a Live Video Stream service, provided by Siemens VDO. Check out our website for more details.
details (http://www.formulastudent.de/public-relations/news/news-details/article/live-videostream-from-the-dynamic-events-powered-by-siemens/)

MalcolmG
07-27-2006, 04:02 AM
The live stream will be awesome , although I imagine it will be hard to time it well enough to catch our team in action (especially with the time difference between Auckland and Hockenheim). Our team is supposed to be supplying us with regular updates and pictures though so I'll post what I can on here.

Go UoA!

olsen5
07-27-2006, 05:00 AM
The live stream is a great idea. I'm looking forward to meeting all the teams there, with the way the organizers have been talking it should be a very well run and successful competition, good luck to you all and see you in a few days.

Bret
Windsor Formula SAE

Big Bird
07-29-2006, 08:53 PM
Good luck to all, I hope it is going really well. Especially good luck to those travelling from our part of the globe - I think we have Deakin, Monash, UNSW and UQ competing at FSG this year, along with all the crazies from Auckland. Apologies if I've missed anyone. Anyway, hope you are all enjoying yourselves.

Keep up the good work Frank & crew, I think this is going to be a top class event.

Cheers,

formula_wally
07-31-2006, 09:34 AM
$5 on Lancers to take it all! Go Bartel go.

Seriously though, the canadian teams are killing at the competitions that are farther away from our winter

repeatoffender
08-03-2006, 07:55 PM
updates people, updates!

nopanon
08-04-2006, 07:40 AM
You can follow the Delft team on www.dutracing.nl (http://www.dutracing.nl)
First report posted!

JMW - FSAE NZ University Of Auckland
08-04-2006, 08:32 AM
Guten Tag from sunny Germany!

What an event this is, so well organised! Congrats to Frank and the crew.

Scrutineering took a while to begin with but I think most of the teams have or are close to passing.

The static events were very well organised with a ton of judges and places always ready on time.

Hockenheim is also an awesome place to hold a FS event! Just being here is kool.

Now that static events are over we are all waiting eagerly for the results and the chance of being in a final (as presentation has finals this year!).

Thats all from me, best of luck to all the teams but GO TEAM AUCKLAND!!

Jetser
08-04-2006, 12:45 PM
Presentation result:
1 Delft
2 Oxford
3 Loughborough

Style event was a bit strange, quote from style judge during award ceremony:
This car looks quicker than it probably is, but that doesn't matter for a racecar
??!

Hope for dry weather tommorrow, it's raining now.

PatClarke
08-04-2006, 01:31 PM
Provisional Design Finalists (pretty firm)
1 Technical University Graz
3 Helsinki Polytechnic
24 Deakin University
31 Technical University of Munich
63 University of NSW
73 Oxford Brookes University
Good luck to all tomorrow

RacingManiac
08-04-2006, 01:48 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Suddenlee:
Provisional Design Finalists (pretty firm)
1 Technical University Graz
3 Helsinki Polytechnic
24 Deakin University
31 Technical University of Munich
63 University of NSW
73 Oxford Brookes University
Good luck to all tomorrow </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A familiar list for excellent cars we saw in UK.....very high caliber competition indeed.

Good luck to all.

Chris23
08-05-2006, 12:11 AM
hi guys

does the video stream work?

i can't connect to the server and i'm not sure if it allready works or not

greets
chris

Krautsalat
08-05-2006, 01:55 AM
Works great for me here......

http://www.odn.de/event/fokus-mediaproduktion/live.asx

Krautsalat

Chris23
08-05-2006, 05:03 AM
thx kraut

now it works for me too

seems to be a hard event
helsinki very good at acc.
graz have some transmission (shifting) problems and they have to change it
tu munich also very fast

BryanH
08-05-2006, 07:18 AM
Awesome! sitting in my lounge watching Autocross from Hockenheim live on WiFi laptop with commentary from Pat Clarke, much better than subtitles ala Inspector Rex.
Heavy rain has slowed things. Think that TU Graz has fast time at 42.99
Cheers Bryan H
RMIT fan club

Chris23
08-05-2006, 07:21 AM
no, the 42.99 time was from Helsinki (but I think the driver hit a cone in this lap)

TU Graz wasn't on the track by now, because they have some problems with the gear box

I think you mean the other team from Graz with a fast 43.xx time

BryanH
08-05-2006, 07:52 AM
seriously not takng notes so sure you are right. restart at 4.45. need to google that

Greg H
08-05-2006, 08:08 AM
What are the cars in the background doing? Is the track currently being used as well?

SR-Mike
08-05-2006, 09:13 AM
Strathclyde win the cost event!!!!!

what a result.

brookes 2nd
stralsund 3rd

There were 4 sub 4 second teams in acceleration with helsinki winning with a 3.84

cheers

Sr-mike
Uni of Strathclyde

BryanH
08-05-2006, 09:39 AM
University Quensland has run 42.6, FTD so far, don't reckon anyoe will beat that. Been touched by the ugly stick but.

Matthias Thewes
08-05-2006, 10:01 AM
Congratulation to Queensland then. At least they set the fastest driving time, but I didn't see them hitting a cone.
We had the great opportunity to host the Australian teams in the days before the event and it has been a great time. They all looked very competitive with a lot of testing on their cars.
Good luck for all you guys tomorrow in the endurance.

Cheers
Matthias

PatClarke
08-05-2006, 10:31 AM
Hi All,
Autocross finished, unoficially UQ have won that. The event was disrupted by rain for over an hour and afterwards the track was slow. However, towards the finish some speed was found and UQ put in a demon 42 sec clean lap.

Greg, The big track is being ysed by one of the several Porsche clubs in Germany, the drivers generally showing that having the wherewithal to buy a Porsche certainly does not qualify you as a driver!
Yesterday AMG were here and some goose spooled out on the track the wrong way and seemed to be attempting the record! Fool!
The facilities here are fantastic, pits and garages in the F1 pits with the FI teams stickers still on the floor from last weekend. FSG has really elevated this competition to a new level. The organisers are happy, the judges are happy and most of all, the students are ecstatic! I think the barkeepers are happy too =]
Better go and oversee the Design finals.
Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeee Im havin' fun
Pat

ad
08-05-2006, 11:10 PM
Does anyone have pictures of the event and teams?

How are the Aussies going?

frau holle
08-05-2006, 11:40 PM
Hello!

Just have a look at www.formulastudent.de (http://www.formulastudent.de) . There are already pictures avaible.

Queensland won Autocross. The results will be posted at www.formulastudent.de (http://www.formulastudent.de) soon.

Cheers
Frau Holle

Craig Dawson
08-05-2006, 11:40 PM
Design Final was an Awesome event, the judges were told they had till 9:30 and they stuck to it, we then had the decision within 30 minutes! The way it should be.

1st - Helsinki
2nd - TU Munich
3rd - TU Graz
4th - Brookes
5th - New South Wales
6th - Deakin

We had a terrible day, just switched to Goodyears from the Avons, and were chasing set up, both mechanical and electronic all day. 1 cone wrecked Autocross so we are on in about 2 hrs. Weather is really bad, showers all the time. At the top there is 0.32 points between Helsinki and TU Munich

TomF
08-06-2006, 12:46 AM
Yes, the facilities here are great, the level of cars is great and there is a lot of excitement in the top. Would be dissapointed to see the weather determine the result in the enduro, but hey, that's racing. According to the organisation it will be showers in the morning, with some showers and sunshine in the afternoon. Therefore the fastest cars will drive the 2nd endurance after lunch. We are in almost at the end after a very fast autocross finish.

It all comes down to enduro now!

Henrik Andersson
08-06-2006, 01:19 AM
Hello all,

made a day trip to Hockenheim and FSG yesterday. From what I saw it seems to be a really great event, good facilities and a lot of competitive teams.

I have uploaded my photos from yesterday here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/siriusracing/ (http://www.flickr.com/photos/siriusracing/sets/72157594225656197/). There are some videos in my camera as well, maybe I'll upload them later.

Congratulations to Frank Röske and the rest of the FSG Team for arranging such a great event.

Best regards
Henrik Andersson

Frank
08-06-2006, 05:42 PM
i just heard UQ won autocross, enduro, and the overall dynamic award, but they didn't do so well in the static events.. with a 4th overall

I hear TUGraz won the event..

Well done UQ!!!!

BTW Halfast.. what's this "ugly stick" thing all about? http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Frank Evans (UQ 2001-2005)

RiNaZ
08-06-2006, 07:48 PM
hey frank, was the livestream recorded? if it is, where can i go and watch it?

BryanH
08-07-2006, 02:49 AM
Frank Roske was interviewing drivers after their enduro runs. Deakin's 1st driver was asked "How was it out there?" reply was "It was wet..........German girls are beautiful"
what could possibly have made him associate the two I don't know

RMIT fan club

BryanH
08-07-2006, 02:57 AM
Frank, It's common knowledge that a winning fsae car must be based on the Chief Engineers favourite Shoes. This means that UQ's Chief Eng. must be an old school 60's rocker....anyone you can think of? http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
cheers

TomF
08-07-2006, 04:09 PM
Well this really was a great event. This was my fifth already, but it was so good, it really set the level in almost every aspect. Very good cars, excellent organisation and a lot of happy people at the party. The Delft team is really proud of our 3rd place, after 4 years of hard work with just that bit of luck/testing time missing in the end. I would like to congratulate all teams on their performance. The top was so close, incredible! Over half the pack finishing endurance really shows the quality of engineering and all the hard work that was put in there. I think this event has the potential to grow even bigger and that would be great. Very eager to see some photos/videos of this event!

Peter Jakowski "Mac Gyver"
08-08-2006, 01:36 AM
Hey Tom,

thanks for your feedback. Pictures are still availablefrom the event, only the of the 6. are still missing but comming soon.
http://www.formulastudent.de/events/event-2006/gallery/

Peter

AukeBaas
08-08-2006, 04:06 AM
FSG was a great event. A typical german event with both "Gemutlichkeit und Grundlichkeit": Well organized and a great atmosphere.

I have put some car pictures on the internet as well, check it out at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22744532@N00/sets/72157594228985239/

Here is the top three:
http://static.flickr.com/84/209971083_004db46791.jpg?v=0
http://static.flickr.com/75/209971619_fda9863372.jpg?v=0
http://static.flickr.com/64/209971564_09dc24de84.jpg?v=0

Dan Deussen @ Weber Motor
08-08-2006, 05:53 AM
I just want to say thank you to all the teams for bringing such great cars to the event!

I got to play scrutineer, powertrain judge, and race coordinator all in one weekend so I got to take a pretty close up look at many of the cars. The level at which the first year cars competed (and there were quite a few of them) really amazed me. It definitely shows that Germany is a country with a lot of automotive and racing history. I am sure the level of engineering and build quality will be topped at next years event.

I am an engine guy so I was especially impressed with the performance of the powertrain packages a lot of you had. We had 4 cars running sub 4 second acceleration runs which I would have said is impossible under real race conditions but you guys proved that is indeed possible.

Again, thanks to all the members of the steering comittee and all other people involved in hosting this event and another special thanks to Daniel Mazur who probaly worked as hard as your core team members and slept just as little as them the days before the event.

Another special thanks to Pat (D'Rat) Clarke, he made sure that the design judging was enjoyed by the design judes just as much as by the students.

MH
08-08-2006, 08:38 AM
First of all a huge thanks to the organisers, sponsors and just about everybody involved in FSG. This event was the best I've seen to date and I think a lot of people are going to agree with me.
The pits, the facilities, the communication with the officials, the relaxed but punctual and precise organisation of every event showed how an event such as this should be organized. Amazing to see all the press, guests and sponsors. The level of scrutineering, design judging feedback, and almost all of the events was excellent. Instead of only pointing out the mistakes, actual feedback on ways to improve our car was given.
All the volunteers were friendly and did a hell of a job.
Incredible to see that organizers were actually asking all the teams to help them improve their event by giving feedback on their performance.
Especially the Mahle-party, that was great....

To be honest, the Formula Student England will have to step up to the challenge to keep up with FSG. And that for a first event....

A big thanks to all the teams as well, I've never seen so much companionship. A lot of very fast and amazing cars. Oxford Brookes set a couple of blistering laps in the enduro. The guys (and girls) from Munich, NSW, Johanneum Graz, Loughborough (thanks for cheering for us!!), etc. the list is really too long, who didn't finish enduro while being up there with the top, I'm sure you'll be back with better and faster cars. Also all the first year teams, I was really impressed.

But also a less positive note. As 99% of the teams were cheering for each other, screaming for a positive result for their closest competition, one team managed to do the opposite.
For example when the guys from Helsinki looked like they're were out of the endurance on their last lap (I was in the driver change area at that moment, just finished my part), this team (I'm not going to mention the name) started cheering because they thought Helsinki was out.
Also when the rain came pouring down and it looked like a lot of teams were screwed, I saw and heard this team cheering. In my opinion this is not the way to participate in such a competition and this team should take a long hard look in the mirror and ask yourself what you are doing in such a friendly event.
Obviously our (Delft) team wants to do well, but we felt sorry for ALL the teams that worked so hard just so see their car fail at the last moment. Something we had to put up with a couple of times already.

All that said, this event was great and I can honestly hope that next year it will be even bigger and of the same quality.

See you guys next year!!!
Miki Hegedus
Delft University of Technology Racing Team

RacingManiac
08-08-2006, 09:19 AM
Congrats to Graz for winning the event. A truly amazing piece of work getting the top results.

Wish we can come to Germany, but money probably won't allow it....

Jetser
08-08-2006, 09:51 AM
So thanks Mik, for posting my post a quarter before me...
I'm still amazed that we've finished third. Thanks to the team, you did a hell of a job. Thank to the organisers and sponsors for setting up this amazing event. And thanks to all the other teams.
Especially the Stuttgart guys, you did an amazing job with a first year car (and for bringing me home). I'm still figuring out how you can be quicker in enduro while there is twice the weight.....

@Mik: So you're driving again next year, you know you need to become quicker....http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Hope to see you all next year,
Rob Buskermolen
DUTRacing

Craig Dawson
08-08-2006, 10:00 AM
What an Awesome competition! We all really enjoyed it. Miki is right, the facilities were absolutly awesome. All the organisers did an incredible job, espechially when you think they have day jobs! The party was great, though it may have been better to put the endurance results up before we had all had a beer or 3!

The Delft guys did an awesome Job, it was brilliant to watch you out there. Miki, I wish it had been totally dry so we could see what time you really could have done in the enduro!

Helsinki were really unlucky with there problems, but as always you guys were great competitors and great friends to our team.

Both Graz teams did a really good job. Johanneum were so unlucky in the enduro, was it water injestion? And TU, considering the problems they had through the weekend did so well.

TU Fast were so unlucky in Enduro, their car was really quick!

It was great to see the Ozzie's Austrilasia teams on the pace, New South Wales would have been well on for stopping the Europeans if not for the blown fuse. Tim showed what that car can do and the doughnuts at the end were brilliant.

Loughborough were really quick, and we seriously thought you had us beaten! So good to see the other British uni's quick and up there.

We were really glad that the weather didnt actually effect the final result, cos as we said over the tannoy, we didnt want to benifit from a situation like that.

Finally to the Russians, those guys were knocked back at Scrutineering 6 times!! Every time they went in there the scrutineers found something else wrong, but they never gave up, even with so much to do and it was a pleasure to help them out. We seriously werent expecting the Sportsmanship award, and we were truely honoured to take it. The noise in that tent as we were walking up was unbelievable! I have to admit, I got a major lump in my throat when there car went round.

Personally, I made some really good friends this weekend, there was such a good atmosphere around the whole event.

I seriously hope that next year the US teams come over to FS and FSG, because I think this competition showed how competitive the European teams are! Be brave, come over the pond!

olsen5
08-08-2006, 12:28 PM
I also wanted to post up on here how great the event was. Thanks to Frank Roeske for helping us work out all of our shipping details for our car.

Unfortunately our team had a bad luck weekend, but the teams from Stralsund and Cardiff really came through for us. Thanks to Stralsund for the spare engine and thanks to Cardiff for offering anything in your pits that we could have needed. Unfortunately staying up all night every night doing engine swaps and such does not guarantee a finish but our team pushed back every time the car threw something at us. Overall it was a great experience, and being able to visit with the rest of the competitors in a relaxed setting at the Mahle party was a great time.

I felt really bad for Belfast as they stayed up all night with us on Saturday night fixing their rear diff and ended up with the same fate as our car, I think the same happened for Deakin as well. Congrats to Graz and Helsinki, only something like 7 points separating them in the end, a good battle right down to the wire.

Bret
Windsor Lancers FSAE

markocosic
08-08-2006, 01:31 PM
Formula Student Germany then:

A fantastic event! The new benchmark as far as venue, facilities, organization and entertainment go... Hats off to those pulling the strings to make it happen, putting in the hours to make it run flawlessly and full marks to Mahle for the afterparty. Apparently some teams won some events – though from where we were the sponsors and competitors were all far too battered to give a damn! :-) (the impression our lot left with was that come to it it mattered not one jot who came away with the first prize - and congratulations are due to all those who made it there and made it what it was!)

Mostly the organisers seem to have listened to students and industry then executed it to perfection – with a sense of humour added as icing on the cake. (where else would you find the organisers crowd-surfing at an after-party; paid-for soft-drinks but free beer; pedal-cars in the welding bay or donuts on the enduro track all viewed as perfectly normal) We know which event we're trying for next year that's for sure!

Special thanks to Brookes, Cardiff, Graz, Loughborough, Queensland and Strathclyde for campsite/mahle entertainment – you'd better be there next year so we can repay the hospitality! (might even make it around a few more tents if we can resist the lure of the first 20 cent beers and hot BBQ we come across!) :-)

Usual collection of car photos, pi$$ing rain, filth from the loughboro' lot and big Frank R with beer in one hand and cigar in other whilst being thrown around by the students busy uploading here:

http://www.cosic.org.uk/galleryv2/main.php?g2_itemId=9356 (http://www.cosic.org.uk/galleryv2/main.php?g2_itemId=9356%5B/url%5D)

If any registered teams hear of the DVD of photos and video the organisers mentioned I've love a copy please (I'm happy to send a disc and self-addressed envelope to you or do the whole if I receive one I forward a copy to the next person who asks free of charge type affair)

Cheers!

MarcoLange
08-08-2006, 03:47 PM
Hey everybody!

Concerning the FSG event, I have to say it was very well-organized, probably at one of the best FSAE / Formula Student event locations ever, the Hockenheimring, one week after the F1 race. It was an amazing event, and although things did not really work out well for us (engine busted during noise test, had to replace engine, missed accelleration and skid pad, and on sunday starter failed after our car spun and ceased), we as a team had much fun and it was a great experience, with a great final on the MAHLE party.

Congrats to Graz for their well-deserved success, a great team and a great car, to Stuttgart for their great start into the Formula Student community, grats to all other winners and especially to Queensland for their Enduro and AutoX win. Greetings also to the teams from Deakin, Monash and New South Wales. We really enjoyed the two weeks with all you Aussi guys (and girl) in Aachen as well as during FSG very much.

Moreover, I want to thank all other teams who helped us, especially the guys from Offenburg.

I am very much looking forward to FSG 2007, although, by then, I will only be a visitor.

Marco Lange
Electronics
Ecurie Aix
Formula Student Team RWTH Aachen

Henrik Andersson
08-09-2006, 08:37 AM
Ok, I have now uploaded some videos from Saturdays events, enjoy. I hope I tagged the videos right.

/henrik

TU Graz (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7764075527695341494&hl=en)
Oxford Brookes (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7548768518598789624&hl=en)
Loughborough (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=826696051699935996&hl=de)
Deakin (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4813824259789902243&hl=en)
Helsinki (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8352607831631662753&hl=en)
FH Johanneum (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3762143307382896396&hl=en)

V2 - Italy
08-09-2006, 11:56 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Craig Dawson:
just switched to Goodyears from the Avons, and were chasing set up, both mechanical and electronic all day. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think you used Avon at FS06 and GY at FSG.
What do you think about GY?
Where did you buy them?
We bought (in USA) and tested them last year, but we are back to Avon, because are softer and quite always produced later.

Daniele Rosti

Craig Dawson
08-09-2006, 01:24 PM
Hi Daniele,

We switched to the Goodyears 2962's because our Avons A40's totally fell apart when we won the Enduro at Formula Student UK. They went off on they 10th lap.

We didnt have chance to do any proper running on the Goodyears before FSG, only the simple bedding procedure that Goodyear gave us. As a result we made a huge gamble.

Our performance in Accel and Skid was fairly terrible, mainly because we had slightly less traction on the Goodyears than we had on the Avons, and we had problems reconfiguring the Launch Control, and the general balance had moved to a lot of understeer which messed up our Skid Pad. Once we had changed the set up the car was mega again, but we only managed this in time for the last AutoX run. I made a mistake, and hence our time wasnt good.

In the Enduro the tyres were unbelievable. They were perfectly constistant, and gave a level of grip that was fantastic. The major change was the feeling the tyres had. At the end of the enduro the tyres were like new.

I am sure that had we had a second set and been able to test prior to the event they would have been better than the Avon's throughout the event.

They came from the States.

RacingManiac
08-09-2006, 03:23 PM
What prompted the change though, was it a supply issue that you leave you with GY or was it something intentional(if you don't want to elaborate on the latter that would be fine as well...)

V2 - Italy
08-10-2006, 04:37 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Craig Dawson:
We switched to the Goodyears 2962's because our Avons A40's totally fell apart when we won the Enduro at Formula Student UK. They went off on they 10th lap...
In the Enduro the tyres were unbelievable. They were perfectly constistant, and gave a level of grip that was fantastic. The major change was the feeling the tyres had. At the end of the enduro the tyres were like new....
They came from the States. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Craig,

We never tested the 2962, but we used the R-065 D-1385 bought in Florida.
I saw a pic of your car at FS06 at the end of endurance, and the tires were not so good...
I understand the setup problem you suffered using GY from Avon, because we had the same problem.

Nice to hear that the grip level was so good, and I hope the price was lower..

Daniele

Craig Dawson
08-10-2006, 05:07 AM
The fronts at Bruntingthorpe were nearly to the canvas!

The reason for the change was partially down to supply, and partially down to finance. We knew what we wanted in terms of the Avon but they couldnt make it for some time. Goodyear were fantastic all round. Thats not to say Avon aren't, but in the timescales we were working with I think we made the right decision.

GoodyearFSAE
08-11-2006, 05:26 AM
The D2692 is a new tire that was recently developed with FSAE conditions in mind. In comparison to the D1385 or D2509, both R065 compound tires, the D2692 is stiffer, therefore responds quicker and feels more stable. The compound on the D2692 is a new dry tire compound where the R065 is a wet compound, which is easier to overheat in warm dry conditions. Typically, the treadwear on the D2692 tire is better. As with any tire, vehicle setup, and kinematics & compliance are important and your particular situation may minimize the gains seen until your car is setup well. We are working on a volume build of the tires, but it will probably not happen for another month or two. They will be priced a little higher than the D2509 and D1385, at about $150/tire (due to the rising cost of raw materials). You may think that I am biased since I work at Goodyear, so ask any of the several teams have competed on these tires their opinion. The list now includes, Texas A&M (#1 FSAE West), Wollongong, Kansas, Oxford Brookes, Western Australia, NC State, Wisconsin Madison, Cincinnati, Virginia Tech, Toledo, Missouri Columbia, & Akron.

http://fsae.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/125607348/m/58310898...10223431#91010223431 (http://fsae.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/125607348/m/58310898331?r=91010223431#91010223431)

Kimmo Hirvonen
08-11-2006, 11:03 AM
Congratulation to TU Graz. With surmounting the difficulties you had, you really deserved to win!

We didn't win the competition but we won almost as valuable thing instead. Matti Parpola Racing Team vs. Brookes: 3-2. Though I think this rivalry will continue til it's 87-85..

Here's all the "publishable" photos from Helsinki:

http://www.formula.stadia.fi/

For bigger versions-&gt;private message

Frank "Ruska" Roeske
08-11-2006, 11:40 AM
Congratulations to all teams, how makes FSG 2006 to a great competition.

FSG was a great competition. It was a lot of work for the teams and for use. And see finish guys smiling was the best feedback. Ok nearly everybody smiled that evening.

We had a lot of teams who had bad luck, for example FH Graz, TU Munich, UNSW (broken Fuse after 20 m) and so on, but i´m sure all teams enjoyed that competition. I hope all of you had a save trip home and already started with their new car.

Hope to see you next year.

Thanks for that stage diving, we should make that again next year.

And also thanks to all teams, all volunteers and all other people how makes that event so great.

I promise we will make it better next year!!!

Frank Ruska Roeske

Jenner Collins
08-11-2006, 04:28 PM
Hi All,

I just wanted to say how great this event was organised by Frank and the rest of his team. Although this was only my second competition, the other being FS UK, I can't see too many areas where improvements could be made. I am sure many teams from this year will spread the word...

Well Done.

For me this event was quite special as I was competing against my younger brother, Jilbruke (some of you may know?), in his last ever event for the Uni of New South Wales. I had heard many stories of designing, building, testing and racing over the last five years from him and now this year have seen many of them first hand in my team - Oxford Brookes.

As Craig had mentioned earlier, we had had a few problems with setup on Saturday so was going to be difficult for us to challenge for an outright win. However UNSW were about 20 points behind before the enduro and had a serius challenger. I was gutted to see them not make it very far...I guess the donuts made up for it somewhat! http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Finally a big hello to all the other teams out there from me and thank you for the good competition you have provided along with the friendships I have made.

Will no doubt see you all soon!

Jenner Collins
Oxford Brookes Uni
jennerabc@yahoo.com.au

HenningO
08-15-2006, 12:24 PM
I figured I'd share some of my thoughts about FSG before I forget something.

As pointed out here and at the event, FSG was a great event, as Pat said, probably the best in the world so far! I must agree!

We (Royal Institue of Tech. Stockholm) had some arguments with the judges about the rules, something that is quite tricky. One thing that I think will improve to next year is the judges rules knowledge. I don't say that they have to have the same knowledge as us students who spend a year building a car according to the rules. Furthermore, the insecurity that some judges showed resulted in some weird interpretations of the rules and the intent of the rules got lost. But as I said, I think this will be much better next year when the judges have some more experience.

I also believe that some of the more practical parts of the rules such as "moving the car outside the pits" parts of the rules, weren't reinforced although some judges admitted that they've seen teams running with cars etc. FSG was a "strict" event, something I don't mind, but I believe it then has to be strict in every single way. Otherwise we'll get some parts of the rules that will be more of recommendations.

Finally, if the rules has to be fair, same rules should apply to all, during the endurance we got 2 technical flags because our front wing was touching the ground. As we all know, the track was quite bumpy, so we had raised our car with 20 mm in the front in order to aviod the wing touching the ground. In the slower sprint track we had no problems with it, but with the faster endurance track in combination with warm tires, our front wing touched the ground in some turn/brake/bump situations around the track. Sure, I know it's at the judges discretion, but several other cars touched the ground as well... But got away with it, to conclude, if you want keep FSG a strict event, which I believe you guys should, make sure the same rules apply for all. No hard feelings, but without the technical flags we could've been top 5 in the endurance... "could've been" http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

It was sad to see some top-notch cars that also "could've been" but all sorts of failures that you really can't prepare for didn't finish the endurance, Loughborugh, FH Graz, Redback Racing etc. Some highly competitive cars that put up a great show but fell on the finish line.

One other good thing with FSG event, the weighing after the endurance. One of the top team actual weighed 10 kg more after the endurance compared to the weighing for design...

To summarize, a great competition, great people, great cars, not so great campsite.

See you next year!

Henning Olsson
Technical Director KTH Racing
Royal Insitute of Technology
Stockholm, Sweden

Frank "Ruska" Roeske
08-16-2006, 03:01 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by HenningO:

We ... had some arguments with the judges about the rules, something that is quite tricky. One thing that I think will improve to next year is the judges rules knowledge.

Finally, if the rules has to be fair, same rules should apply to all, during the endurance we got 2 technical flags because our front wing was touching the ground. As we all know, the track was quite bumpy, so we had raised our car with 20 mm in the front in order to aviod the wing touching the ground. In the slower sprint track we had no problems with it, but with the faster endurance track in combination with warm tires, our front wing touched the ground in some turn/brake/bump situations around the track. Sure, I know it's at the judges discretion, but several other cars touched the ground as well... But got away with it, to conclude, if you want keep FSG a strict event, which I believe you guys should, make sure the same rules apply for all. No hard feelings, but without the technical flags we could've been top 5 in the endurance... "could've been" http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Henning, we flagged your car out, because it not only hits the ground on the bump, it also touched th ground during normal cornering. It would suggest your wing wasn´t high enough for your rollstiffness you choose. Before we flagged you out, your car had at least 4-5 ground contacts each lap, and that is just to much!

Frank

And the rear wing isn´t a proper push bar, which fullfills the rules. And i will be the bad guy with the alkohol tester again next year. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

HenningO
08-16-2006, 07:04 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Frank "Ruska" Roeske:
Henning, we flagged your car out, because it not only hits the ground on the bump, it also touched th ground during normal cornering. It would suggest your wing wasn´t high enough for your rollstiffness you choose. Before we flagged you out, your car had at least 4-5 ground contacts each lap, and that is just to much!

Frank
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, you could be right http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

While on the subject of drugs (alcohol), I'd really like to see FSG as a completly smoke-free event. I see no reason why smoking should be allowed near cars or at the grand stands.

Frank "Ruska" Roeske
08-16-2006, 12:24 PM
Henning, personal i´m agree to you and we will find another way to handle the smoking next year.

TomF
08-16-2006, 01:41 PM
I would agree on the smoking comment, I was feeling a bit annoyed by some people smoking in the pit area, while there were smoking areas specified. But I could agree, that as a student, you would not want to tell an event sponsor, that he should smoke somewhere else. On the other hand, if it is near fueled up cars, the safety question starts popping up....

Welfares
09-03-2006, 04:54 AM
That was the probably the most fun i've ever had.

Frank- You the man!!! Thanks for dragging us half way round the world.

Aachen- Thanks for hosting us, you were so much help, Especially Neals, who prevented us from starving.

Cardiff- Without you guys i probably would have been lost in the forest somewhere.

TUG- Congratulations on a great win, and on having the forsite to bring several kegs with you, (and thanks for sharing it around http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif )

Thanks to All the FSG crew, for an awesome, well run event, and a wicked party on Sunday night.

Ross,
UNSW.... I was the guy in glad wrap on sunday night. :P

sscollins
09-11-2006, 03:24 AM
Can anyone with pics of the event get in touch with me.

Sam_collins@ipcmedia.com