PDA

View Full Version : transmission for electric engine

Júlio Soares
04-11-2013, 03:57 PM
Hi! anybody knows what's the best transmission for an electric engine?

JulianH
04-11-2013, 03:59 PM
No, because there is no "best" transmission.

How many motors due you use? Only in the rear or in the front, too?

Júlio Soares
04-11-2013, 04:09 PM
Only one motor in the rear. My doubt is how I will get greater efficiency, using a CVT system or a 2 or 3-speed transmission.

Owen Thomas
04-11-2013, 04:13 PM
10 speed chain drive, like on a bicycle. Obviously you could upgrade to like a fancy 27 speed for more horsepower, but that would just be ridiculous.

PatClarke
04-11-2013, 05:48 PM
Julio,

Good manners to introduce yourself and say what team you represent.

Electric motors develop maximum torque at zero RPM, so it may be that you only need a sprocket and chain to drive the rear wheels.

Pat

Júlio Soares
04-11-2013, 07:07 PM
Pat,

I'm sorry. I'm newbie in this forum and in my team, and this is our first project of electric vehicle, so the doubts are many. Thanks!

Júlio Soares
Cheetah Racing - UNIFEI
PowerTrain

BeunMan
04-12-2013, 03:49 AM
Pat's hint is good, but also keep in mind cooling. While you might be able to get away with low ratios, this might create higher currents and thus uses your wires and coils as heaters instead of actual movement to the wheels.

General rules: Low rpm means high torque but also high current and low efficiency. Max efficiency is usually around 70-80% of max rmp. Max. power usually around 50%. So you have to find the correct max-rmp for your car/engine.

There is also some difference in engine configurations (dc, dc/ac synchro or asynchro), but most teams use synchro engines anyway.