PDA

View Full Version : Possible Change in Differential Design

Klurf
06-22-2011, 03:02 PM
I am currently my team's Drivetrain lead and would really appreciate some information regarding both the Torsen University Special and the Quaife Differential.

For the past two years our team has been using the Torsen University Special with our own custom built housing. According to last year's Drivetrain lead, there can be some reductions in weight by redesigning the housing, but he also pointed out that the Torsen is a differential which was designed for full sized cars and therefore is much larger and stronger than required for an FSAE car.

I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on whether using a Quaife's internals and building our own housing, we could save some weight and make a smaller differential unit?

I also understand that another option for a smaller, lighter differential would be using an ATV differential. My only issue with that is that most likely it will be a cam and pawl type differential and therefore there is an immediate lockup of the two driven wheels as soon as the power is applied.

Klurf
06-22-2011, 03:02 PM
I am currently my team's Drivetrain lead and would really appreciate some information regarding both the Torsen University Special and the Quaife Differential.

For the past two years our team has been using the Torsen University Special with our own custom built housing. According to last year's Drivetrain lead, there can be some reductions in weight by redesigning the housing, but he also pointed out that the Torsen is a differential which was designed for full sized cars and therefore is much larger and stronger than required for an FSAE car.

I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on whether using a Quaife's internals and building our own housing, we could save some weight and make a smaller differential unit?

I also understand that another option for a smaller, lighter differential would be using an ATV differential. My only issue with that is that most likely it will be a cam and pawl type differential and therefore there is an immediate lockup of the two driven wheels as soon as the power is applied.