PDA

View Full Version : sprotor

vandit
11-02-2005, 11:00 PM
there is a query about using sprocket as brake disc rotor......usually the sprocket is always found coated with the oil used for lubrication of the chain so u cannot think of puuting calipers on it......now the teams which still uses sprocket as rotor i would like to know what material they use for sprocket and chain so that u dont need lubrication.......or if there is some other solution?

Jersey Tom
11-02-2005, 11:14 PM
We had been using the brocket set up for some years, though the judges seem to be less and less impressed with it.

On our '05 car, the sprocket was just mild steel, and a straight up 428 chain. We were just careful with lubricating the chain, and wiping down the braking surface before driving.

Keeping the braking surface distanced from the chain also helps.

Still, you get difficulties. We lost half a day at the '05 competition from some of the chain lube having gotten onto the braking surface and ruining our pads. Couldn't lock em the rears, had to take it back, put in and break in new ones.

For the most part though the lube seems to be good about staying where it should be. Just keep an eye on it. Don't know offhand what exactly we used to lubricate...

Jarrod
11-03-2005, 03:56 AM
when we ran it in 2002 we ran o-ring chain, which has the rollers internally lubricated i believe(? i was only really a helper then, another guy did the driveline/chain) and we ran a very small amount of heavy oil/grease on the chain itself(heavier than normal chain oil that i was usewd to). Afterwards we discovered a wax that is designed for chains in industrial use, but we never tried it as we went to 4 wheel discs. Might be worth looking into, if you really want the brake rotor on the sprocket.

Mechanicaldan
11-07-2005, 04:18 PM
Iowa State used a sprotor for 2 years. 6061 Aluminum. 520 o-ring chain. Never lubed it, because it's sealed.

The good:
Lightweight

The bad:
Generates lots of heat. Chain discolors and wears quickly. Sprotor gets thinner as it wears. Differential leaks causing DNF in endurance.

Fixes:
Use steel sprotor
Use seperate rotor on differential
Use rotors on inboard CVs
Use outboard rotors

The voice of experience,