PDA

View Full Version : taylor race tripod joints

Cement Legs
02-10-2005, 07:40 AM
Has anyone sourced out shafts that will fit the taylor race tripod joints for fsae cars? If so has anyone found a better price than what taylor race is offering?

Cement Legs
02-10-2005, 07:40 AM
Has anyone sourced out shafts that will fit the taylor race tripod joints for fsae cars? If so has anyone found a better price than what taylor race is offering?

Denny Trimble
02-10-2005, 08:22 AM
Ours are free. Sponsors supply the material, heat treating, gun boring, and splining, and students do the rest of the machining.

It takes a while, though. But we learn more than buying Taylors and cutting them to length.

Cement Legs
02-10-2005, 02:29 PM
And you obviously save big bucks (TR's shafts are $185 each). Denny do you guys have any of the specifications on the splines? We definitely would prefer to source the work out if we had more info on exactly what we are trying to build

Travis Garrison
02-10-2005, 02:37 PM
Cement Legs,

At the UW we actually don't use the taylor bearings either...so its a different set of splines.

However I have done a set of taylor splines before...since they are 45 degree splines its pretty simple...just get an end mill (or bull with a small radius) and a rotary table...

I got pretty close by measuring the bearing and working backwards from there...but on the first one I did have to re-run my program slightly deaper to get it to fit (largely due to work piece deflection)

-Travis Garrison

Cement Legs
02-10-2005, 04:09 PM
Do you have any picks? Also I'm not really clear on how you cut your splines, if you could elaborate a little more this may turn out to be something we could do to save a whole whack of cash. Yes $400 to me is a whole whack, not a half-o-whack. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Travis Garrison
02-10-2005, 05:03 PM
I can't find any images of the processes at the moment...James might be able to...

Think cutting a slot halfway through (as in 45 degrees through) one of the upper quadrants. Rotate the desired spacing to the next spline location...and repeat.

...that's not the best explanation...email me if you like and I'll try to get you some images.

-Travis

James Waltman
02-10-2005, 05:57 PM
Sorry Travis,
I can't find any pictures of cutting splines. I think you did those before I got my digital camera.

BStoney
02-11-2005, 02:47 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by James Waltman:
Sorry Travis,
I can't find any pictures of cutting splines. I think you did those before I got my digital camera. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We spline some of our own shafts at UC. I don't have any pics on my laptop here, but maybe Ryan can throw up a few pics from last year since I know we took some pics then.

B.J.

rdleng04
02-11-2005, 06:32 AM
Here are some pics of our spline cutting process. It involves a machine, in which is designed and built for cutting splines, that our machine shop has had forever. It is a very complex contraption, but works really well. let me know if you have any specific questions.

The pics are for the Zexel differential, not the Taylor, however the process would be the same.

http://fsae.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=763607348&f=8356059423&m=52010718121

Hopefully this link works.

Ryan Lake
University of Cincinnati
rdleng99@hotmail.com

Travis Garrison
02-11-2005, 09:53 AM
That's a nice setup you guys have Ryan...that's pretty much what I was talking about.

The process would be slightly simpler for the Taylor Tripod bearings however...you would need a rotary axis like you have...but instead of a slotting style of cutter you can simply use an end or bull mill (tiny radius though) positioned three quarters of the way up the shaft you are splining (like I was saying before, think 45 degrees up the first quadrant).

Not trying to nit pick, I just want to make sure there isn't any confusion...For most splines you need a special cutter like Ryan's pictures show...however the for the Taylor axle splines you only need a rotary head and an end mill, items any relatively complete machine shop will have.

-Travis Garrison

MikeWaggoner at UW
02-11-2005, 10:34 AM
http://students.washington.edu/mikewagg/spline.gif

Section view.

Travis Garrison
02-11-2005, 12:00 PM
Oh yah...drawing with computers...CAB or ADD or something right?

Thanks Mike...

-Travis

Cement Legs
02-12-2005, 07:10 AM
Very cool Travis. I'm pretty sure our shop has a rotary indexer so that should be managable for us. If so it looks like the only real trick is to get your 45 degree angle and depth of cut just right... I'll ask our techie about that http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Nicholas
02-12-2005, 02:12 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cement Legs:
If so it looks like the only real trick is to get your 45 degree angle and depth of cut just right... I'll ask our techie about that http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, man. Trigonometry is pretty hard.

scotty young Taylor Race
02-24-2005, 10:14 AM
Gentlemen,

Your observations that the Taylor halfshafts are too expensive are absolutely correct. We have been working at reducing the price despite the doubling or tripling of the price of 4340 steel. We finally decided to build a two-year supply of halfshafts, which results in a large inventory cost, but it does allow reasonable price decrease for the halfshafts. The price is now $166.50. For those of you that have splining equipment, the basic male spline details are:

Major Diameter: .872"
Minor Diameter: .790"
Diameter over pins: .971"
Pin diameter: .080"
Pressure angle: 45? (note that this requires a cutter of not 90? degrees but 108? included angle)

As an aside, we would like to point out that we are now manufacturing all of the components except the grease boots in America. The destructive test of the American-made halfshafts shows a minimum yield of 1380 lb-ft. The new American made tripod tested to failure at 1600 lb-ft.

Please call us with any design questions that you might have. When I was going through the University of Wisconsin engineering school back in the Jurassic period, we did not have programs such as FSAE. This is really exciting stuff; thanks for letting us be a part of it.

Sincerely,

Craig Taylor
President
Taylor Race Engineering, Inc.

Denny Trimble
02-24-2005, 10:33 AM
Thanks for the info and support, Craig. We wish all our suppliers were as helpful as you are http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

alfordda
02-24-2005, 02:24 PM
I have to second Denny's comment. The Taylor Racing products are great. They have saved us alot of headaches. Thanks Craig.

Jon Weir
02-25-2005, 05:33 PM
I'd like to thank Craig Taylor as well. He was very generous at 2004 competition when we (Carleton U) grenaded a tripod and half-shaft... somehow!

Cement Legs
03-11-2005, 03:56 AM
What is the suggested maximum angular deflection for the Taylor Race tripod joints?

scotty young Taylor Race
03-14-2005, 08:59 AM
22 degrees max deflection.Avalible plunge is reduced at higher axle angles ( axle deflection angle)

Scotty
Taylor Race

Thrainer
10-07-2008, 12:29 PM
Hi fellows, hi Scotty,

I have a question about our last shipment of tripods:
http://home.datacomm.ch/htrainer/FormulaStudent/Tripods.jpg

Why are these a bit rough, while the first shipment was very shiny? Is this a problem or not?

We're running them at the moment and I haven't checked. I hope they don't scrub off the aluminium housings. Somebody from Stuttgart said, their Tripods are the same (rough). I'm still a bit worried.

Looking forwards to Scotty's reply or experience from other teams.

Thomas
AMZ - ETH Zurich

Chris Lane
10-08-2008, 07:12 AM
I'll check our joints tomorrow morning, as we just got ours from TRE too.

Flexicoker
10-13-2008, 04:46 PM
We agree the surface finish is not up to standard, however it will not affect the function of the joint in any way. If you have any joints that look like this, please call us at 800-922-4327 or email Scotty or Craig at scotty@taylor-race.com or craig@taylor-race.com.

Eric Leichtle
Engineering, Taylor Race Engineering

Craig Taylor
Chief Engineer, Taylor Race Engineering