PDA

View Full Version : GSXR 600 cc k3 engine

Stevens2009
03-30-2009, 06:39 PM
Hi,

I am part of the FSAE team at our school and we are having problems starting the engine.

The engine's starter motor turns and you can hear the valves moving up and down. However, there is no fuel injection nor is there spark from the spark plug. What sensor would be causing these two problems? is it the anti theft? because I placed a 100 OHM resistor where the ignition wires should be and I am not getting a either.

Thanks for your help
Stevens 09

Stevens2009
03-30-2009, 06:39 PM
Hi,

I am part of the FSAE team at our school and we are having problems starting the engine.

The engine's starter motor turns and you can hear the valves moving up and down. However, there is no fuel injection nor is there spark from the spark plug. What sensor would be causing these two problems? is it the anti theft? because I placed a 100 OHM resistor where the ignition wires should be and I am not getting a either.

Thanks for your help
Stevens 09

JamesCH13
03-30-2009, 09:04 PM
Lots of sensors can do that. Make sure your CAS, CMAS, TPS, IMAP, IAT... sensors are all hooked up and working. The repair manual has acceptable specs for all these. The stock dash will give you error codes if something isn't hooked up or malfunctioning that may be helpful in trouble-shooting. Also make sure you haven't blown a fuse somewhere.

Why are you using the stock ECU? I would reccomend a MicroSquirt or Performance Electronics ECU (in that order) the MS is much more powerful, but the PE is very easy to use. Within 24 hours of getting a PE ECU we had a K2 GSXR600 running.

Also, are you Stevens of Stevens tech near NYC? If so, you'd be more that welcome to come over to our place, Cooper Union, and check out our gixxer setups.

j bakker
03-31-2009, 06:49 AM
we also use that motor and i know that back when we had the stock ecu and lots of the stock bike wiring our engine would cut out at high G's because the tipover switch was being activated.

I cant help you out with what it looks like but check that you have taken it out or have it vertical

Corey H
03-31-2009, 09:59 AM
The tip over switch or the ignition anti-theft is probably your problem

http://www.mototuneusa.com/gsxr_tip_over_switch.htm

I do not remember off of the top of my head, but you can not just pull the tip over switch out, it runs at ~62k ohms during normal operation. Again I do not remember the exact number. Google is your friend, tons of people have had these same issues. A quick search will probably find your answer.

consig
03-31-2009, 10:06 AM
If you are using the GSXR engine with the stock wiring harness you have to make sure to take care of:

The clutch switch
The neutral switch
The sidestand switch
The tipover switch
The resistor in place of the ignition switch if you're not using the key

I think that is everything, someone else please chime in if there is anything missing.

We have a stock GSXR 600 K5 running here and it too a little while to sort out the stock wiring harness outside of the bike. We were having symptoms similar to yours for a while.

If you are at Stevens in Hoboken let me know, maybe i can stop by to help out, I live in Jersey City.

For details about starting without the ignition switch check out this thread from the gixxer forum. There are several other places where this information is available too in case this one isnt completely clear.

http://www.gixxer.com/forums/s...3bfe&t=213664&page=2 (http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?s=3b9878948eeb78190961697db3ef3bfe&t=213664&page=2)

-John C
The Cooper Union
Engines Lab

Stevens2009
04-01-2009, 04:50 PM
Yeah, we are the Stevens in Hoboken. I was just trying to get the engine started using the Standard ECU because the guy who was working on the megasquirt II was not down in our shop. We will be switching to that this weekend and hopefully have a running engine.

The engine was completely out of the vehicle and I had already bipassed the clutch switch, the side stand switch and had the tip over switch in the correct position.

I had the 100 OHM resistor set up across the correct AT wires in order to sub out the original bike ignition.

I figure it will be a lot easier to use the Mega Squirt II to get is started and functioning then using the original ECU, seeing as there is no anti theft feature.

JamesCH13
04-01-2009, 07:52 PM
Good luck! Again, feel free to come over and see our MS powered Gixxer if you like. Send me a PM.