PDA

View Full Version : How fast are we?

vrtra
05-30-2008, 11:26 AM
Hi

Am part of an sae team from india.

We are currently running on a KEI car engine modified to 598 cc and turbocharged.

We are currently testing the car and have found that we are able to do 0-60 in about 4.2 seconds.

I would like to know how fast we really are as compared to other racing teams in the world?

Its our first time in the sae and we want to do well!

vrtra
05-30-2008, 11:26 AM
Hi

Am part of an sae team from india.

We are currently running on a KEI car engine modified to 598 cc and turbocharged.

We are currently testing the car and have found that we are able to do 0-60 in about 4.2 seconds.

I would like to know how fast we really are as compared to other racing teams in the world?

Its our first time in the sae and we want to do well!

Mike Macie
05-30-2008, 11:43 AM
Do an acceleration run set at a distance of 75 meters. Time it and compare it to the results from the MIS competition.

Drew Price
05-30-2008, 12:54 PM
Taurean,

You guys are pretty fast. Congrats on getting the setup down, best of luck to you.

You might be able to find the old Road & Track articles documenting the top finishing FSAE cars online somewhere, they publish 0-60 times.

Best,
Drew

flavorPacket
05-30-2008, 01:03 PM
A top FSAE team can do 0-60 mph in just over 3, but 4.2 is not bad at all for a first car. Keep up the good work!

vrtra
05-30-2008, 01:40 PM
Thanks

By the way will we face any problems during the technical inspection by the authorities?

Am asking because i think not many teams run on a KEI car engine or a modified engine for that matter of fact.

The engine as such doesnt violate any rules in the rule book but do we have to submit any other analysis to prove that the engine is safe and or the modification is quite feasible.

Drew Price
05-30-2008, 02:13 PM
As long as you meet the rules regarding ridigly mounting the fuel rail and intake manifold, all that could happen would be that they'd measure the bore and stroke dimensions. There is a tool that they can do this using the spark plug hole so you don't have to take the engine apart, whether they even check that at your comp is up for grabs though. Shouldn't be any problems.

Best,
Drew

RiNaZ
05-30-2008, 03:40 PM
hey taurean ... which K-Car engine are you guys using. I remember seeing a 598cc daihatsu mira that sells for USD 100, but that was in malaysia. And from what ive heard, it has gone slightly higher now. What kind of transmission are you guys using?

4.2 sec is pretty darn fast, especially with a car engine and for a first year team.

vrtra
05-30-2008, 04:56 PM
We are running on a HONDA BEAT engine
We are using a modified version of the stock transmission which is a transverse trans axle assembly.

I

RiNaZ
05-30-2008, 06:50 PM
that's interesting ... post up a picture when you guys are done.

Diablo_niterider
05-31-2008, 08:06 AM
dude 4.2sec is awesome considering i believe KEI is the thing of the 70's and that thing gave 35-40 bhp correct me if i am wrong

those figures are on with the restrictor rite??

if yes give me more details like what efi sytem , turbo and power u guys are producing

am ultra happy to hear about the gearbox and would love to see some pics , post it up fast.......

how much does that thing weigh

which univ are u from??

Mike Hart
06-01-2008, 05:59 AM
The R&T article can be found here: http://fsae.uta.edu/news/RoadTrackTriathlon02.pdf

John Grego
06-01-2008, 07:22 AM
Here is the article from 2005. They only post up to 0-50mph times.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=21&article_id=2934

Spearchucker
06-01-2008, 06:48 PM
Sick setup guys, there definitely needs to be more teams from India, only one at MIS this year. Good Luck guys.